.17 HMR

Jeffo

Will be in the market soon for a new one of the above i am thinking of the CZ 20"Fluted barrel,or the new Tikka 20" barrel or the Sako Quad,must have a 20"barrel looking for opinions or thoughts,on the above or any others,thanks in advance

The Sako Quad is the one I've got and jolly good it is too. The barrel change thing though is something, with hindsight many people don't use. To change out a barrel when you want to use another calibre and ensure it's zeroed is for most people too much faff. They want to be able to just go to the cabinet and grab the rifle for today's job. Not spend time dismantling and rebuilding the thing. They just end up having a rifle in each calibre they want to use. And yes, I don't change mine.

Having said that, the Sako Finnfire II is pretty much the same thing, but with a fixed (for want of a better expression) barrel. Maybe add that to your list of possibles?

Once the barrel length is long enough that all the powder is burned (AFAIK, about 12-14 inches in a 17HMR)
then what's coming out of the end of the barrel is a bullet travelling at supersonic speed and thus producing a mini sonic boom (the "crack" sound) and the high velocity gas produced by the burned powder (the boom sound)
A moderator can reduce the boom part of the noise by giving the gas somewhere to expand into so that it slows down and doesn't "boom" so much, but neither of these sources of noise gets more or less with increasing or decreasing barrel length.

Cheers

Bruce

I have the CZ455 in 20" barrel fluted and cant fault it, I do have a barrel resonator on it to tune the harmonics but it's a versatile tool for sure

I'm currently in the market for a .17 HMR and have narrowed it down to the Finnfire II, Anschutz 1517, and Weihrauch HW60. The HW action is lovely and as someone else has mentioned the trigger is superb. This would probably be my first choice but I can't seem to find one without the German style hogs back stock - which I'm really not a fan of. For this reason I'm probably favouring the Finnfire at the moment, but would have any of those 3 if a good opportunity came up.

Cheers
Greg

I'm currently in the market for a .17 HMR and have narrowed it down to the Finnfire II, Anschutz 1517, and Weihrauch HW60. The HW action is lovely and as someone else has mentioned the trigger is superb. This would probably be my first choice but I can't seem to find one without the German style hogs back stock - which I'm really not a fan of. For this reason I'm probably favouring the Finnfire at the moment, but would have any of those 3 if a good opportunity came up.

Cheers
Greg

I had an HW60 with the "production" stock, but changed for a 60J hogs back stock.
Personally, I found the hogs back stock much nicer to look at and to use.

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers
Greg

Look at the HW66 - semi target stock

Back