.17 Hornet- whats available?

twoseventy

Good afternoon all,

i've got a slot for a .17 hornet that i'd like to fill, and wondered who was making rifles chambered in this round?

I've seen the savage and CZ offerings, but is there anyone else making rifles chambered in this caliber that would be worth looking at?

Nathan

twoseventy

Thanks for the feedback guys, has anyone tried the Anschutz or weihrauch offerings at all?

Interested to know how well they feed from the magazine?

Nathan

Zetter

Looking at the Anschutz cost on guntrader I would want someone supplied to load it singly for me :). Think Chris Parkin is doing a review on the weihrauch he really liked it from comments made I think it was the Jagermatch version of the HW60

GOMX

Thanks for the feedback guys, has anyone tried the Anschutz or weihrauch offerings at all?

Interested to know how well they feed from the magazine?

Nathan
I'm headed down the same lines with either Anschutz or Welihrach it will be interesting to hear some feedback ...

treetop

I may be parting with my CZ 17 Hornet if the right offer come along, as it sits in the cupboard not getting used

Blobby159

The Anschutz will likely always pick up high marks. They are a beautifully made, superbly accurate range of rifles, being added to by additional calibres ever so often.

J.G. ANSCH Co. KG - Caliber .17 Hornet

My only real gripe with them - well apart from cost - is that their spread of fully left-handed rifles is few and far between! In this day and age that is a bit of an anethema, but what can you do? So I have one in full left setup, a .22LR, and one in full right hand, my .22Hornet (K-Hornet), both bought at the start of my shooting career too many years ago to want to think of the number, and damned expensive then too....

Last edited:

ChrisF

I would go for the CZ 527 , in either 17 or 22 Hornet , they all seem to be very accurate , when I looked at getting a . 22 Hornet rifle a few yrs ago , the only maker that got consisitant good reviews was CZ 527 , it seems the front locking mini mauser action , and good attention to chamber alignment , meant that the CZ s where the most accurate of production rifles for the at times finiky hornet rd .
I brought a CZ527 22 Hornet , and have been loving IT , it puts 3rds into 1/2 inche at 100yds .
If I was after a 17 Hornet , I would again get a CZ 527 , end of short story .

Blobby159

Horses for courses perhaps? With light weight bullets - 40gr Sierra BlitxKing and 35gr. Hornady V-Max my near 30 year old Anschutz .22 Hornet (well K- Hornet) will STLL give me overlapping 3 shot groups @ 100 yds - 120 yds with the Sierra and even occasional two and sometimes 3 shots in one ragged hole with the 35gr. V-Max. And I have shot that twin set-trigger blessed rifle a LOT in that time. When it was in its pure ".22 Hornet" guise I reloaded 45 gr. Sierra 'Hornet' easily frangible bullets and my loads there were at least as accurate if somewhat slower. Also, that rifle's walnut stock just 'fits' me like a glove and I used to be able to take quite rangey shots from standing.

Over sticks I rarely miss with it inside of around 200yards and it's my go-to rifle when out foxing.So like you'd be with your fave CZ I am with my Anschutz - even THOUGH the left-hander catalogue is really restricted. - Like most lefties, I just adapted my mounting and recocking to suit my side preference. The only real pain in the ass no-nos are sharp high comb rollovers on shoulder stocks in ANYTHING with more recoil than the Hornet, I need "Classic" straight comb stocks on my rifles if not fully lefty. A benefit of getting used to any right-handed rifle (most of my other rifles) is that, to me these arms might just as well be single-shot arms, making me take more care with that first (and generally only) shot against critters.

Last edited:

Blobby159

My shooting mate has a Hornet he had re cut to 'K' Hornet, ... belti'n foxing round.

I can attest to that finbear, my .22K-H has served me exceptionally well aa a foxer and rabbit demolition shooter for something approaching 30 yrs, and it STILL shoots 1/2" and tighter 100-120yd groups with my handloads. It really engenders that much needed commodity called "Confidence"!!

My go-to "foxer" even though I have stunningly accurate .223 heavy barreled Rem 700 varmint synthetic rifle and an ace .17Rem Sako "Vixen".

kes

I've had a CZ american in .17 Hornet for 5 ish years - super light foxing rifle and an extremely accurate with NV. Mine gets used in the field regularly and I would therefore never pay a ridiculous price for what is basically a tool. Good dear rifle yes but not for rabbits and foxing. I have nothing but praise for the CZ. If the Anchutz or Weirauch were cheaper they would have been contenders also the 'Savage by name, Savage by nature' was simply too poorly engineered (plastic bolt cap) - I'm still chuffed with it - I asked for 'good wood' and the one I received was quite special.

AnthonyR

I have had an Anschutz 1771 in 17 Hornet for about 6 months now, I went for one of these over the Weihrauch because of the 5 shot mags and the fact that I loved my old Annie HMR but be warned the rifles are not cheap. I have had the barrel shortened to 18" and had it fitted into a GRS stock

As has been said the rifle is beautifully made and shoots about 1/2 MOA with the factory Hornady ammo, I have no intention of reloading for this rifle.

Unfortunately it has not been all rosy and the rifle has been back twice for feed issues, it kept pulling the top round back over the rim of the round below when the mag was full and jamming the mag up ,I had to push harder than I thought I should to get it sorted out properly but hopefully all is now good but I haven't used it much since getting it back, that will change now the crops are out of the way.

Kalahari

Funny how us CZ owners just trundle on with very reliable accurate rifles. They just don't have the "name" but why buy anything else?

David.

Klenchblaize

Here is a truth: I've owned an Anschutz .22 Hornet (Model 1432 Deluxe) since circa 1982 and the only reason I retain it in the 21st Century may be attributed to a;- nostalgia and b;- the very nicely figured stock it sports. I only wish I could add "it's inherent accuracy" but that would be fibbing!

Get yourself a CZ or Weihrauch and stay clear of Anschutz Hornets. In particular vintage models as it's clear they may make fantastic match-grade barrels but have yet to master the art of producing a similarly spot-on reamer for cutting the perfect 22 Hornet chamber.

K

Last edited:

landkeeper

Here is a truth: I've owned an Anschutz .22 Hornet (Model 1432 Deluxe) since circa 1982 and the only reason I retain it in the 21st Century may be attributed to a;- nostalgia and b;- the very nicely figured stock it sports. I only wish I could add "it's inherent accuracy" but that would be fibbing!

Get yourself a CZ or Weihrauch and stay clear of Anschutz Hornets. In particular vintage models as it's clear they may make fantastic match-grade barrels but have yet to master the art of producing a similarly spot-on reamer for cutting the perfect 22 Hornet chamber.

K

ditto my sentiments exactly a superb bit of kit to look at roll over cheek piece checkered stock palm swell hand pice grain to die for , lovely shiney blueing you could swim in , glass like action but it couldnt wouldnt shoot for **** the most frustrating rifle i have ever owned , the old bruno that went before it was streets ahead in the accuracy dept it's the one rifle i wish i had never sold