17 WMR options??

rick1127

17 WSM options??

what options are there for the 17wsm , as in different makes and has anyone actually got one and what do you think of it.

Last edited:

Muir

what options are there for the 17wsm , as in different makes and has anyone actually got one and what do you think of it.
You're kidding, right? Search engine. All the pro's and con's a person could ask for. ;)~Muir

old keeper

If you are referring to the new 17WSM I understand there are none in this country at present and there is some doubt as to whether there will be any at all.

mealiejimmy

The most common rifle chambered for 17WSM is the Savage B Mag and there are a very few kicking around in the UK.
However, the rifle is commonly regarded as being a total dog and a genuine PITA.
There's very little ammo available, although I heard that 150,000 rounds are due here soon.
AFAIK, this is all being done without Winchester UK being involved.
Ruger have chambered a model 77 in 17WSM, but it costs almost $1000 in the USA so I dread to think what it would cost here.
3 or 4 small US manufacturers (Volquartsen, Franklin Armory) are selling semi auto rifles in 17WSM, but of course they would not be legal here.

Cheers

Bruce

joe soapy

They would fly off the shelf if we had American pricing. Wallmart had an offer of $150, the regular price
is $295. they must send someone over to collect the guns 1 at a time and charge the airline ticket to the purchaser here

bewsher500

watching a few videos on youtube and it seems the 17WMR is as exciting in the accuracy department as the HMR can be!

get a 17 hornet or similar
least you can chose your rifle a bit better

mealiejimmy

whats to stop you rechamber any old HMR?
Higher pressure - 33000 PSI for the 17WSM compared to 26000 PSI for the 17HMR.
Going from 22LR or 22WMR to 17HMR was no biggie for most gunmakers - their existing actions were strong enough to take the increase in pressure.
However, those 17HMR actions are not strong enough to handle the extra pressure produced by the 17WSM.
The Savage B mag was designed from the floor up specifically for the 17WSM (and Savage made a crap job of it)
AFAIK, none of the European manufacturers have any plans to chamber rifles in 17WSM - at least until they see if it's becoming popular.

Cheers

Bruce

rick1127

thanks for all the replys i did mean the 17 wsm i just couldn't change the heading sorry.
ive already got a hmr and the 17wsm has intrigued me but i cant seem to find any real information on the rifle.
is it a case of good idea on paper but not in practise.
i spoke to edgar brothers and they told me every rifle they have in 17wsm is sold and have a waiting list for them and they are due next week another 140,000 rounds.
is this the sort of reception the hmr got when it was first released?
the reason for not going down the route of 17 hornet is ammunition cost, pure and simple cost.
thanks again and sorry for the confusion