17rem

owenlee

Evening gentlemen and lady's
What do people think of the 17rem for a foxing setup never used one and fancy something with low recoil for a NV setup any information would be greatly appreciated 👍

owenlee

They seem to tick all the boxes from what I've read but it's nice to hear it from real honest shooters

srvet

I have run one for 4-5 years and I especially like it for small game and corvids at range. I do shoot Fox with it using 25g Berger bullets and it works well. It generally will exit using this bullet whereas a 20g Vmax would not. I do recognise more runners when I use the 17 REM compared to the 22/250 Ackley but I have never lost a Fox that has been shot with the 17. As with any small calibres, shot placement is more critical. The absence of recoil is bizarre at first and the trajectory is banjo wire flat to 250 yards but it does suffer in the wind.

Ttocs

Don’t buy a second hand on - buy new or preferably a rebarrel’d action.
I’m using 20gr Varmageddon, a little harder than vmax but sill very frangible at 4200f/s (did have them up to 4400f/s but 4200f/s better on barrel and brass. Just the ticket when the ground is as dry and hard as it is at the moment - that little 20gr bullet travelling at >4000f/s disintegrates when it hits anything.
Great for crows to foxes, little recoil and fairly quiet with a good mod - certainly quieter than my 204.
Mine is now off for a rebarrel in 17 Fireball (my gunsmith doesn’t have a 17 REM reamer) so I’ll probably be selling all my dies and around 400 cases soon though I’m tempted to keep them and get my 204 rebarrel’d to 17 REM in the future
N

splash

I don’t have a .12 REM but have had a .17 fireball for a few years.
Will not be changing it as for fox and vermin it tick all the boxes.

Steve123

I have one and have had several. They are great for all vermin and Using 25g vmax no worse than .22 in the wind .
They will drop foxes up to 250 yards like a puppet with the strings cut. Not tried to shoot them further. Lovely low recoil and noise .
I would recommend the cartridge. The only downside is it’s not popular and factory ammo is rare and or very expensive. I reload and with 22.6 g n135 am getting 4300fps and half inch groups with 20g vmax .

reddog

Have a look at this;

owenlee

Have a look at this;

Thanks

sir-slots-alot

What do people think of the 17rem for a foxing setup never used one and fancy something with low recoil for a NV setup any information would be greatly appreciated 👍

I have had at least five , 17 rems over the years - not to mention a 17 FB and 17 Hornet. The total lack of recoil and super flat trajectory makes the 17 rem and FB easy to shoot well. I have shot thousands of rounds and flattened enough fox to know the 17 rem is a fantastic caliber - Deadly accurate and will drop a fox on the spot if you put the bullet in the right place. For fox , I would opt for a 25gr pill over the 20grn bullets. (25g Vmax are excellent)

Downsides - Like all 17s - the wind will affect them - and the availability of cases is worth checking - Careful you don't buy a shot out rifle

What else - Don't get to caught up on barrel life - yes if you push it , barrel life can be brief , ( same as hot loading for any other performance round) but run a 25g bullet below 4000 fps and don't shoot lot of shots in succession and it will last thousands of rounds. Also barrel cleaning - loads of myths - I cleaned mine no more than i clean my 223.

ATB
Alan

243 fallow

My mate uses one, not sure on factory ammo availability but he reloads his own, brilliant little calibre and would be ideal as a dedicated nv gun.

jb1

Love mine and really should use it more often, check availability of components before you make a decision.

Like previously said the lack of recoil of any of the cf 17 cals will just make you smile, the targets down before you you realise.
I trailed using HBN to reduce fouling and it does work with no detrimental affect, it barely picks up any copper. Built on a Sako S491 action and re-barrel by Steve Kershaw and had it reblued by midcounties blacking in Litchfield.

jb1

I reload and with 22.6 g n135 am getting 4300fps and half inch groups with 20g vmax .

Thats well sluggish LOL

i clocked 4900, :smug: Blown primer and 3/4 of grain under max (BLC2). I realised what i had done when i checked the case, it was a Nosler mixed up with Remington.

cooper89

By far my favourite calibre, so much so I had 2 at one point 😳

I kept my 19” stainless varmint barrel rem700 and its had a hard life 😂😂 but still shoots 1/4 moa if you do your bit

I run 20gr vmax at 4500 and it drops foxes like you wouldn’t believe and vaporises ground feeding corvids 💥 and the lack of recoil makes watching them puff into feathers very satisfying, all the while being easy to load for and cheap to run once you’ve got the brass

They are very quiet too, i also have a 204 and the 17 is noticeably quieter behind the butt, not sure how that translates at the other end I’m not brave enough to stand in front of it 😂

And it’s nice to be different, to many 223 users out there already

Attachments

• F750EB4E-73F5-4070-A730-4C7D02F9B443.jpeg
    F750EB4E-73F5-4070-A730-4C7D02F9B443.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 619F6020-C71D-48F9-8759-2979FC23D9C6.jpeg
    619F6020-C71D-48F9-8759-2979FC23D9C6.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 9EA3A9B4-B41F-46DE-8329-90919916D2DC.jpeg
    9EA3A9B4-B41F-46DE-8329-90919916D2DC.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1FDD4C2C-0E74-45B5-BF7C-4FF2D671E846.jpeg