2-7x32 suggestions

mattyts

Hi all,

I'm after some suggestions for a nice 2-7x32 if anyone can help.

It's for mounting on an air rifle, for general daytime pesting (rabbits, pigeons, rats). AO/adjustable parallax isn't needed but a hashed ret of some kind (no plain 30/30s) and good glass is essential. Ideally sub £200-250 new. Open to secondhand suggestions too if they're common & easy to find.

I've had/tried the following in 2-7x32:
Zeiss Terra. Good glass, but a plain ret.
Hawke Vantage. Acceptable glass, but a thick ret that obscures a lot.
Wulf fireball. Pretty much the same as the vantage.
New Simmons WTC. Crap glass, even given the price.
Hawke Panorama. Really bright glass, useful ret. Would buy another but they've been discontinued years.
Hawke Airmax. Like the panorama, still in production & probably my favourite so far.

I'm thinking of another Airmax, or giving the Vortex Crossfire a go but welcome any other suggestions.

Cheers all.

Hi all,

It's for mounting on an air rifle, for general daytime pesting (rabbits, pigeons, rats). AO/adjustable parallax isn't needed but a hashed ret of some kind (no plain 30/30s) and good glass is essential. Ideally sub £200-250 new. Open to secondhand suggestions too if they're common & easy to find.

Hawke Panorama. Really bright glass, useful ret. Would buy another but they've been discontinued years.
Hawke Airmax. Like the panorama, still in production & probably my favourite so far.

I'm thinking of another Airmax, or giving the Vortex Crossfire a go but welcome any other suggestions.

Cheers all.

Look for an older Leupold. Not easy to find a 2-7x33 one though!

Sportsman did some cheap Minox scopes (ZL3?) a few years ago, one of the specs was a 2-7x32. I've got a 3-9x40 and it's lovely for the money, worth keeping your eyes peeled for one.

Hi all,

Cheers all.
The older simmons whitetail scopes where real good , i have one on a spring piston airgun for teens of years and its used reasonably frequent on a spring airgun . I have never needed to re-zero it and its a pure pest control tool not a safe queen .

Funnily enough I'm in the exact same situation and have tried many of the scopes you're referring to.

I think an airmax compact would be ideal tbh

The only other one would be a Burris- but they aren't that common and I think you would pay a premium for a very robust scope with glass behind leupold (the older stuff is over rated imo) and the airmax.

The Vortex Crossfire I had was v poor. The diamondback tactical was brilliant in all ways except low light which it was poor at.

Sportsman did some cheap Minox scopes (ZL3?) a few years ago, one of the specs was a 2-7x32. I've got a 3-9x40 and it's lovely for the money, worth keeping your eyes peeled for one.

Cheers. Will add it to the list of scopes to keep my eyes peeled for.

The older simmons whitetail scopes where real good , i have one on a spring piston airgun for teens of years and its used reasonably frequent on a spring airgun . I have never needed to re-zero it and its a pure pest control tool not a safe queen .

Yeah the Philippines made ones are brilliant, I've got a few of the lower mag (1.5-5x21s?) on springers and they're fantastic for short range stuff.

Funnily enough I'm in the exact same situation and have tried many of the scopes you're referring to.

I think an airmax compact would be ideal tbh

The only other one would be a Burris- but they aren't that common and I think you would pay a premium for a very robust scope with glass behind leupold (the older stuff is over rated imo) and the airmax.

The Vortex Crossfire I had was v poor. The diamondback tactical was brilliant in all ways except low light which it was poor at.

I've got a few smaller Burris scopes, 4x32 etc but they're all plain 30/30 rets, I've not seen any with aimpoints or mildots on.

The Airmaxs are brilliant for the money, I'd not hesitate to buy another but I am wondering if there's anything better for new Airmax price, secondhand.

Redfield Revolution if you can find one or its Leupold rimfire equivalent. Used to have a Konus 1-6x24 scope on a BSA mercury that worked well around dimly lit barns and cow sheds.

Yeah that's definitely a consideration. How do they compare to the older Leupys?
Some of the Leupold purists are not fussed on the "blockier" design of the turrets in comparison to the older scopes but the glass is superb in my opinion along with a useful reticle. A VX-Freedom is a significant upgrade over a Vari-x II VX-II and marginally better than a VX-2 but the 2's are like hens teeth and command similar money 2nd hand. The 2-7 Diamondback Rimfire is also a good shout although I wasn't fussed about the size of the ocular on the one I used to have.

Back