Vacancy: 2 FLS ranger posts, Scot Borders

NickJ

Cracking part of the world, when I was with the FC over 25 years ago it was the District I was hoping to end up in.

Rake Aboot

That Peebles job entails working in one of the busiest forests in Britain.

Extremely high public presence every single day.

slider

Even more so than Dalby?
250-300,000 visitors to the Glentress forest every year - mainly mountain bikers but other users too. The other forests in the valley are used by walkers and horse riders etc. For the very reason of the number of people night shooting is a must however I was out with one of the rangers a couple of years ago on Glentress. Nearly midnight on a January night, bitterly cold and sleet. Deer in the lamp and then 2 mountain bikes appeared !

I have a lease on a piece of private sector forestry that forms part of the wider Glentress complex. While it can be challenging most folk are fine but you have to pick your time

Last edited:

jimmy milnes

250-300,000 visitors to the Glentress forest every year - mainly mountain bikers but other users too. The other forests in the valley are used by walkers and horse riders etc...

I was out with one of teh rangers a couple of years ago on Glentress. Nearly midnight on a January night, bitterly cold and sleet. Deer in the lamp and then 2 mountain bikes appeared !
Jeez a nightmare waiting to happen then, not an enviable task..

NickJ

That Peebles job entails working in one of the busiest forests in Britain.

Extremely high public presence every single day.
Ah, changed in 25 years then, that was when I was last there!! In Gisburn Forest (FC) near where I live the mountain bikers are regulars at night with their headtorches...god love them

Rake Aboot

I visit Glentress at least once a week just now with my son/grandsons to go mountainbiking and every part of it is busy, all day, every day.

Innerleithen Yair Thornylee Cardrona Caberston in fact every woodland from Gala to Peebles is busy all year and potentially 24hrs a day.

Ranger22

The bikes don't seem to get so deep into Elibank and Cardona, Yair and Thornilee are most just walkers and an odd horse rider, so much easier to manage.
Elibank was a busy place when I was there, Glentress was busier admittedly but JC managed without much ado

slider

Elibank was a busy place when I was there, Glentress was busier admittedly but JC managed without much ado
Yeah, he just gets on with it. It was him I was with when we met the bikes at near midnight. Not even a cuss under his breath, just "oh well on to the next one". Great lad

Ranger22

Yeah, he just gets on with it. It was him I was with when we met the bikes at near midnight. Not even a cuss under his breath, just "oh well on to the next one". Great lad
I like him a lot. Never worked with him, just met him in the larder. Always time for a chat