2016 Roe Rut Getting Closer

willie_gunn

Spotted these two, in the same field where the doe was earlier in the week.

From the chasing, albeit not "full on", it looks as though the rut is rapidly approaching!

Eventually they made their way through the hedgerow and started grazing on the margins of the corn field, until a walker appeared with her dogs at the far end, at which the roe leaped across the field and made good their escape.

Highlandsjohn

Nice photographs, I agree,he would not have spotted you (second last pic) if he was full on. Another week or two for us yins....Last pic is a topper.john

willie_gunn

Nice photographs, I agree,he would not have spotted you (second last pic) if he was full on. Another week or two for us yins....Last pic is a topper.john
To be fair to him, I'd just tried a squeak on the Buttolo!

The last photo was luck more than judgement - as the walker appeared I switched to Continuous on the Nikon and managed to capture two photos of the buck and doe "fully airborne". This is the other one:

It's amazing how high they can jump :eek:

Last edited:

6pointer

Account Suspended
Nice to see Dom and great pictures again. I would hope that the buck in the picture would be replaced by a more substantial buck. Let us know if the young lad holds on .

willie_gunn

Nice to see Dom and great pictures again. I would hope that the buck in the picture would be replaced by a more substantial buck. Let us know if the young lad holds on .
I will Davie. There is, or at least was, a nice six-point buck a couple of fields away but I haven't seen him for a week or so. It will be interesting to see if he pitches up!