2021 Hi-Lux tail gate damper suggestions

Ali

Good afternoon all,

Can anyone recommend a tail gate damper for a 2021 Hi-Lux ?
Why they are not fitted as standard I will never know !

ChrisWill184

I got ones from hardtopsuk.com for my brothers and my L200s. They were an easy close and soft open combo and an ok price unlike some I saw at the time over £200!

Been on 2 years and fitted easily. What they don’t tell you is that there are sometimes shims under the tailgate hinges. The easy close hinges can be a different depth to the originals so might need to remove some or all of these to get a decent close. You can only really find that out after installation and closing the door though so might need a bit of playing with.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

I got ones from hardtopsuk.com for my brothers and my L200s. They were an easy close and soft open combo and an ok price unlike some I saw at the time over £200!

Been on 2 years and fitted easily. What they don’t tell you is that there are sometimes shims under the tailgate hinges. The easy close hinges can be a different depth to the originals so might need to remove some or all of these to get a decent close. You can only really find that out after installation and closing the door though so might need a bit of playing with.
I'll check it out. Thanks 👍

nick.308

I put one on my hilux that was given to me and it lasted a few months before it snapped. I actually preferred it without the damper because when you want to put the tailgate down why would you want to waste 10s of your life everytime waiting for it to get to the bottom. Practically it was more of a hinderance than a help. maybe it was a cheap one??

Scandially

Fitted two Ezydown dampers and both broke with light use. Too fast in hot weather and too slow in winter.

hairycow

I fitted one on my Navarro from 4x4at at leeming bar 4 years ago was a damper and two sprung hinges works great

ChrisWill184

I'll check it out. Thanks 👍
FYI We haven’t had issues with ours and although it started off a little slow to open to begin with, it eased with a bit of use. Certainly takes the sudden drop away from it. We got them more because of wives and children opening the back with dogs in. No chance of getting a full battering with a dog propelled door with it installed.

mollydog

I had one fitted to my work truck , one morning I opened the tail door and the damper had come loose and door dropped on me causing quite a bit of bruising.
I won’t have one fitted now