22.250 Safety Trace

Jim xyz

Hi All,

A bit of a strange one I know but to solve a pub argument (there's a beer resting on it).

As a very rough rule of thumb using average factory ammo how far would a 22.250 round go if fired horizontally from a standing position before the round ran out of energy and fell to the ground and again wet finger in the air stuff but if you pointed the barrel up at 30 odd degrees how far would the round go before falling back to earth.

I've looked on google and can't see anything and nothing seems to show up when I searched the SD archive.

Cheers,

​Jim

My 22-250 firing 55gr Sierra BK at 3727fps from a standing position ie about 60" from the ground would travel roughly 625 yards before it hit the deck.

Hi All,

A bit of a strange one I know but to solve a pub argument (there's a beer resting on it).

As a very rough rule of thumb using average factory ammo how far would a 22.250 round go if fired horizontally from a standing position before the round ran out of energy and fell to the ground and again wet finger in the air stuff but if you pointed the barrel up at 30 odd degrees how far would the round go before falling back to earth.....

Jim. The answer above of 625 yds looks spot on to me, but keep in mind it hasn't run out of energy. The bullet can travel a lot further and still kill. Regards JCS

My 22-250 firing 55gr Sierra BK at 3727fps from a standing position ie about 60" from the ground would travel roughly 625 yards before it hit the deck.

But how far if you were only 4 foot six inches tall? :lol:

Just for interest ...

Maximum Distance
Input Data
Manufacturer:HornadyDescription:A-Max®
Caliber:0.224 inWeight:52.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity:3500.0 ft/s
Temperature:59.0 °FPressure:29.92 in Hg
Humidity:0.0 %Altitude:0.0 ft
Std. Atmosphere at Altitude:NoPressure is Corrected:Yes
Output Data
Atmospheric Density:0.07647 lb/ft³Speed of Sound:1116.4 ft/s
Initial Angle:30.0 degTerminal Angle:66.0 deg
Terminal Range:3416.7 ydTerminal Velocity:348.1 ft/s
Terminal Time:25.1 sTerminal Energy:14.0 ft•lbs
25/07/13 07:47, JBM/jbmdist-5.1.cgi

​25 seconds !! That's quite some flight time.

bb. Thanks for the calculation. If you reran the simulation, what initial angle would give the maximum range? Given you keep all the other parameters the same? Regards JCS

JCS, I ran the maximum range calc, the fact it determined 30 degrees as the barrel angle is co-incidental :D

If my memory serves me correctly and there are many variables to consider Julian Hatcher worked it out as being between 29 degrees and 35 degrees of elevation but it is generally taken as being 33 degrees.

Thanks for the info guys,

I was out on the first but closer on the second so it looks like we're both buying a beer. The JBM site is well worth knowing about, clever stuff.

​Jim

Back