22/250

tacklerat

I'm getting a bit older now with my 77th birthday looming. So I'm not into a lot of hiking up big hills any more. Time in the Australian Army with a deployment to South East Asia gave me knees that play up a bit, so I'm thinking of setting up an ambush for some of my deer hunting as I move into the future. I've just acquired a Tikka Varmint in 22/250 that I intend to use as my sit and wait rifle, and as I'm not interested in antlers, only meat, I'm after the younger animals, does especially. Anyone used this cartridge on Deer?

ejg

Plenty being used in Ireland on Sika/Fallow and Red deer. Don't think they are ideal for the larger deer especially not with the lighter varmint bullets however they often just drop as if hit by lightening. Think is just about perfect for Roe and Sika hinds/calves with a precise shot under 200m.
edi

Sika98k

I shot my first sika stag with a 22/250 Ruger No1v I owned. A perfect steady shot at the atlas joint. It never felt a thing. Again the Ruger took my first fallow doe. Chest shot so I was interested to see the chest cavity. The top of the heart was gone but after that the bullet had fragmented and shotgunned the opposite lung. 55gr Vmax IIRC. I changed to soft points and often got a through and through.
Is the 22/250 ideal ? No. Will it do the job ? yes. For a long time in Ireland we were restricted to only using 22 caliber center fire rifles for deer stalking. Some were able to get the 5.6x57 licenced.

Kiwiguy

For many years the 22-250 was the only cartridge I used for shooting deer including Red, Sika and Fallow species. Over the years that rifle accounted for over 100 deer all but one of which were shot in the neck or the back of the head if they were facing away from me.
Originally I used either the Sierra 55 grain Game King of the Speer 55 grain Spitzer Soft Point (#1047) depending on which were available.
Recently I have changed to the Norma 55 grain bonded Oryx projectile.

tacklerat

At the moment I have 55gn Sierra HPBT, Sierra 53gnhp target, 55gn Vmax. Due to arrive very soon, some 63gn SPBT that Sierra say will work in a 14 twist. I'm using 8208 which I have a good supply of. So It looks as if I'm set up pretty well. I did a lot of phoning around all over Australia to mop up that bullet supply. Here's my first day on the range using the Sierra 55gn HPBT Game Kings.

Attachments

• P1030728.JPG
    P1030728.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 18

dunwater

As above, I used one for about 25 years as my only deer rifle and shot some big animals with it but I learned early to steer clear of body shots. A varmint bullet to the neck will drop any animal but you need to get over there fast in case its not immobilised, if it gets up you’ll probably never see it again. If you go for body shots you stand to lose a lot of deer, the entry hole is tiny and there’s often no exit, so no blood trail, meat loss can be pretty hefty too, plan on losing a quarter to blood bruising and lead splatter.
The caliber is a bit of a giant killer in my experience, especially with varmint bullets, flat trajectory, accurate and with minimal recoil its easy to shoot well and you can see the bullet strike, I’ve had a lot of deer just vanish instantly from view, so mark the spot well before you shoot.
Best of luck with your hunting and may you still be getting out and enjoying it for several decades to come.

TURNBOLT

I'm getting a bit older now with my 77th birthday looming. So I'm not into a lot of hiking up big hills any more. Time in the Australian Army with a deployment to South East Asia gave me knees that play up a bit, so I'm thinking of setting up an ambush for some of my deer hunting as I move into the future. I've just acquired a Tikka Varmint in 22/250 that I intend to use as my sit and wait rifle, and as I'm not interested in antlers, only meat, I'm after the younger animals, does especially. Anyone used this cartridge on Deer?
Yes the very same model .Sako 55 Gamehead cartridge are excellent on Roe deer.

Malxwal

At the moment I have 55gn Sierra HPBT, Sierra 53gnhp target, 55gn Vmax. Due to arrive very soon, some 63gn SPBT that Sierra say will work in a 14 twist. I'm using 8208 which I have a good supply of. So It looks as if I'm set up pretty well. I did a lot of phoning around all over Australia to mop up that bullet supply. Here's my first day on the range using the Sierra 55gn HPBT Game Kings.
I use the Sierra 55gr HPBT, driven about 3250fps,they can be a bit frangible close in (sub 100yds), but work well out past 200.

Rafter

I used the 70 grain Speer semi round nose on everything that walks in NZ other than Sambar, Thar and Whitetail. I never recovered a projectile, and the largest red I shot went 132kg on the hook.

Get stuck in, it's a great round.

Free range rob

Yes I’ve started doing a little with mine now and pretty much as said above, I am using sako 55gn game head now instead of the vmax

tacklerat

Just waiting for the weather to cool down here, still summer. I prefer to do my Deer hunting in Winter. I hunt at an elevation of about 900 to 1,000 metres. It gets nice and cold, and I can hang a carcase in a tree overnight. The 22/250 will definitely be getting some work this year. We had a wet winter last year, and there's been plenty of rain since, so the feed will be good on the 3,500 acres I hunt on.