.22 Centrefire

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

User00004

Distinguished Member
I am thinking of getting a .22 CF for vermin, I have heard good and bad about .222's, 22-250 and 223's.... I am not sure which caliber to go for at the moment.

My queerie is,

Has anybody applied fo a .22CF without the cartridge being specified and the issuing constabulary not challenging it. I am with Northern Constabulary now, who are to be honest, "On the Ball".

Cheers

TJ

Offroad Gary

Stu,

not quite the same, and i'm not in jockland, but...

when i asked for a .30?, plod told me i must be specific, then if i choose say .308 instead of 30-06 i just need to apply for 1 for 1 variation which takes less than a week and is free.

why choose a .22cf? you already have the perfect vermin calibre in your .243 ( and in your .308) :p

Gary

User00004

Distinguished Member
Hello Gary,

How's it going with you?

I fancy a specific night time tool for the job, I have a night sight (3rd Gen) sat doing nothing and feel I should do it some justice and mount it to something.

A 22CF will push out to 300m flat trajectory with great ease which will be the pefrect tool for the job.

I don't wan't to lose the option of .243 or .308 for stalking as this will be a specific set up which I don't want to swap scopes over for every other week.

I have a slot on my ticket for the 1 for 1. I really can't see me getting a .17hmr as I have a .22rf

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Hello Stu,

Now that you are back in the land of sensible constabularies the easiest thing for you to do is to phone them and explain that you want a 22CF but are not sure which one. Better yet living where you do just pop into the firearms department and explain your dilemma to them, I bet if you tell them it all depends on the best deal you can get that will help ;) .

For what it is worth I have a 222 and am quite happy with that.

John

swampy

22 centrefire

stu,
johns advice was good.

My cousin, Ben, uses a cz 527 american in .223. it is a super rifle.

he uses 55 gr bullet over N140 with devestating effect on foxes and crows

steve

Offroad Gary

why not get another .243 and load it with some 55's - same performance as a 22-250 (including barrell wear), but still deer legal for all species if you use the correct round.

you'll then get some good sport convincing the coppers to let you have two 243's. :evil:

or perhaps just get 2 sets of quality QD mounts, then you save on doubling up on all the kit you need for an additional rifle/new calibre. dies, mod etc...etc...

325wsm

Actually you can only apply for a 22cf and NOT a specific cartridge according to both your FAC and the Variation forms.

The Police for some reason do it all wrong and believe they are correct.
The application asks for a calibre not a cartridge and your FAC also shows the same but a pound to a penny your rifles are listed as cartridges not calibres.

Ask and maintain and you will be granted. They MUST stick to the law as it is written not as they wish to interpret it BUT be polite.

legaleagle69

sure I asked specifically for a .223 not a .22cf I know the guy who did mine was really helpful Stu so just buzz em can't hurt

8x57

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the guidance document, I think it answers the original question. Either look at the Home Office site or BASC.
http://www.basc.org.uk/media/ho_guidance.pdf

10.5 Applicants are required to enter the
calibre and type of firearm(s) to be purchased
or acquired. The information will need to be
specific and not cover a range of calibres or
a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire).

Therefore you do need to specify.

Offroad Gary

Stu,

the other night we took a guy out that had a tikka t3 lite/stainless .223, 6x42 s&b and an S5 moderator, even if i hate saying it, it was a lovely little outfit, much quieter and less offensive that the .243 and 22-250 we currently use.

we got him a charlie but he waited until it was called to about 40yrds before he took the shot, if he had a proper rifle he might have nailed it at a respectable range ;)

would even consider one myself, the moderator suited it better that a t8/wildcat 8 in my opinion.

Gary

cjm1066

Lincolnshire granted a 22CF, the FEO did try and make me specify a calibre, I showed him a copy of cartridges of the world, told him that the form only required calibre. he was OK with this and granted it.

8x57

Distinguished Member
300WSM tried your suggestion a couple of times in the past. On the first occasion I put .222 or .223 on the application form and that was accepted at that time.
At a later date I wasn't sure which I would purchase or what was available, so I tried to put 8mm / 9.3mm, this was unacceptable and I had to stipulate which one to be put on my ticket. I opted for 8mm but it was understood that it may be necessary to re-submit for a 1for1 (free) should I come across a 9.3 at the right price.

325wsm

300wsm said:
cjm1066 said:
Lincolnshire granted a 22CF, the FEO did try and make me specify a calibre, I showed him a copy of cartridges of the world, told him that the form only required calibre. he was OK with this and granted it.

Guess that may have been after I listed every .30 cal I could think of as Lincs insisted on a cartridge. It only filled one complete side of A4 :lol:

That surprises me as Lincs are one of the most shooter friendly county's and usually extremly helpful.

I have even known them to change a cartridge over the phone when a shooter has found a rifle he wants different to the cartridge specified on his variation. The FAC was kept by the dealer and returned to Police HQ for amendment and then returned duly completed to the owner.

PSE Composites Limited