22 hornet load data

35 grain V max, 11.6 grains of H110 lit off by a Remington 6½ primer.
Cases are many times re-loaded, but trimed for length every time, neck size
only and all loads crimped.

Neil. :)

H-110 is a great powder for the Hornet. Accurate Arms 1680 is also superb. I, and alot of other Hornet shooters round the world, like Lil Gun from Hodgdon. A 34-36 grain bullet over 13.0 grains for 3000 fps. Loaded as Neil suggests. Trim and crimp only with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.~Muir

Most people now rate H. Li'l Gun as the powder for the Hornet. It certainly worked best for me in a brief foray with it.

35 grain v max over 12.9 grains of lil' gun, federal 205 primers, this is close to the max load from hodgdon so work up to it.

Notice that the "maximum" charge weight is the same for all weights of bullets between 30 and 50 grains. This should tell you something about Lil Gun and this Hornet case: It is almost impossible to over charge a Hornet case with Lil Gun. Max charge is dictated by case capacity. Max used to be 14 grains but Hodgdon found that only Remington brass would swallow that much Lil Gun without spilling it onto the loading bench!

A full case (13.0 grains) gives about 25K psi. (24K CUP) with a 35 grain bullet, and then only rises to 40K PSI (38.5 K CUP) with the same charge under a 45 grain bullet. A friend loads Hornet by scooping the case full, shaking it level to the case mouth, tapping it against a bench to settle the powder, and seating a 35 grain V-Max on top. His pretty wife shoots Hornet in such volume that he adopted this method to keep up with her shooting! If there was a flaw in accuracy he'd have heard about it. The girl can shoot.~Muir

What sort of FPS are you getting from that load??

3050 from an 18 inch barrel, top load is 12.3grains.
My fps is faster than the book suggests, but is inline with others experience.
I have never felt the need to go past 11.6grains, and have used 11.2 with great results.
I only upped the charge after shortening the barrel when I had it threaded, not really sure
it made any real world difference to be honest, it upped the velocity from 3020 to 3050 but
made no difference to group sizes, and rabbits and foxes never complained at the lower load.

Neil. :)

What sort of FPS are you getting from that load??

My .22 Hornet would give 3019 ftps with a 40 grain Vmax and 13.2 grains of Lil-gun, 35 grain Vmax was 3150 with the same powder charge.

The 35 Vmax are utter ***** in the wind due to their utter rubbish BC, the 40 Vmax are by far the best if you can single load just modify your magazine to take the longer 40 grain bullets.

Mine was devastatingly accurate out rabbits out to 250 were no probs in most conditions.

Steve.

Notice that the "maximum" charge weight is the same for all weights of bullets between 30 and 50 grains. This should tell you something about Lil Gun and this Hornet case: It is almost impossible to over charge a Hornet case with Lil Gun. Max charge is dictated by case capacity. Max used to be 14 grains but Hodgdon found that only Remington brass would swallow that much Lil Gun without spilling it onto the loading bench!

A full case (13.0 grains) gives about 25K psi. (24K CUP) with a 35 grain bullet, and then only rises to 40K PSI (38.5 K CUP) with the same charge under a 45 grain bullet. A friend loads Hornet by scooping the case full, shaking it level to the case mouth, tapping it against a bench to settle the powder, and seating a 35 grain V-Max on top. His pretty wife shoots Hornet in such volume that he adopted this method to keep up with her shooting! If there was a flaw in accuracy he'd have heard about it. The girl can shoot.~Muir

I know someone that uses rem brass for this very reason!

Hi all I use in my cz527 American with 18" barrel is lil-gun at 13g with cci pistol primer. I had 35g v-max but on 45g Speer now & they load well & fit Cz mag no bother. I find them flater shooting & better in the wind & very accurate ie 10 shots can do 1/2" easy on a good day. I just load mine out a lee powder flow & accuracy is ace would love to get an hs precision stock for mine as I like these stocks. I'm lucky as I work in the country & my hornet was my every day gun love it.

Hi all I use in my cz527 American with 18" barrel is lil-gun at 13g with cci pistol primer. I had 35g v-max but on 45g Speer now & they load well & fit Cz mag no bother. I find them flater shooting & better in the wind & very accurate ie 10 shots can do 1/2" easy on a good day. I just load mine out a lee powder flow & accuracy is ace would love to get an hs precision stock for mine as I like these stocks. I'm lucky as I work in the country & my hornet was my every day gun love it.

I have almost talked myself into revisiting the Winchester 46 grain I mentioned earlier. I have 2K of them! ($140 US total 9 years ago) They really blew varmints to heck. I also live in an area where the Hornet can ride along. My son, when he lived with me, was hardly ever without his 527. For three summers, about every photo taken of him had the CZ on his shoulder! Like this one with some silly Englishman who was wandering by.....;)~Muir
JohnandAndyIIRED.jpg%7E320x480

I have almost talked myself into revisiting the Winchester 46 grain I mentioned earlier. I have 2K of them! ($140 US total 9 years ago) They really blew varmints to heck. I also live in an area where the Hornet can ride along. My son, when he lived with me, was hardly ever without his 527. For three summers, about every photo taken of him had the CZ on his shoulder! Like this one with some silly Englishman who was wandering by.....;)~Muir
Hi muir get on the 45g Speer sp they are outstanding in my cz527.

I have a box of Speer 45grain soft points on order, I was a bit disappointed at the 35 vmax, I prefer 45grain weight, but I have never tried Speer glad to hear they are good in a 527!
Wes

I took a wrong turn on the M25 and ended up in Montana :) Was hot in those Prairie dog fields Cuz.

John

Back