22 Hornet

cjs66

I'm sure I read on here a while ago about someone with the same problem I've got.

And the problem seems to be getting worse. The rifle is a Weihrauch 22 Hornet and the ejection is rubbish, to the extent I take a cleaning rod out with me to knock the cartridges out of the chamber when the problem occurs.

Just wondered if, who it was, got to the bottom of it?

The spring around the bolt and ejector claw feels ok to me.

Any help as its p§ssing me right off.

cjs

I had that problem with my Weihrauch HW60 in 22 Hornet and posted about it here
It ****ed me off so much I got rid of it and now have a CZ527 in 22 hornet which extracts perfectly every time.
I never found a solution to my problem, but I think the following factors may come into it.
It's a really tight chamber - which is good for accuracy, but doesn't give much room for the brass to expand and relax when fired
The same rear locking bolt and extraction system is used on all the Weihrauch powder burners: 22RF, 17HMR, 22Hornet and .222REM and for the centre fires that single small extractor hook (it's not big enough to be called a claw) is just not up to the job
Sorry I can't be more positive or offer a solution that doesn't involve getting rid of the gun.
It's a real shame because in all other respects it's a great rifle.

Cheers

Bruce

It may be worth trying RWS brass as I've found the rims to be well proportioned and consistent:
See the source image

Got to be worth try.

K

I would if I could get hold of some.

There's nothing around here so would need to be new brass, if they do it. Any ideas where to get some?

cjs

I tried mine with PPU, Hornady, Frontier and Nosler brass and it exhibited the extraction problem with all of them.
RWS in 22 hornet is about as common as rocking horse poo

Cheers

Bruce

RWS Hornet ammunition is also the most expensive I have ever bought for my Anschutz 1700 'Classic' rifle, AND by far the slowest from the muzzle too.!!

The cases really are sharply defined in their features and dimensions it is true, and the rims in particular are amazing i n this regard. They are also the deepest/thickest in dimension that I have seen on any commercial .22Hornet brass.......

Good luck with resolution(s) to your ejection problems. Sounds EXTREMELY Annoying ..........

ATB ......... and shoot safely

Hope you get to the bottom of it and if you do please post on here. I have the same rifle and it’s great but will be pretty useless as a pest control tool if I have the same problem.

The rifle is with my gunsmith at the moment, it’s getting a new ejector spring, though I don’t think that’s the problem, and a new ejector claw. If he can’t get hold of the claw he’s going to see if he can re profile the original.
I’ll keep you posted. Fingers crossed.

cjs

I really hope it work for you.
I had a new spring fitted in mine - to no effect, and Hull cartridge could not supply an extractor claw that fitted.
My theory - for what it's worth, is that the chamber is cut really tight and that when a round is fired, the brass is not able to "relax" after expanding to obdurate the chamber, so is still held tightly against the walls of the chamber
I found that fired cases would only go back into the chamber if they were in the same orientation as they were when fired.
A fired case pushed into the chamber at any random orientation frequently failed to be extracted.
If your gunsmith has a 22 hornet reamer, it might be worth thinking about running it into the chamber on your rifle, if only to see if it's tight.

Cheers

Bruce

If your gunsmith has a 22 hornet reamer, it might be worth thinking about running it into the chamber on your rifle, if only to see if it's tight.

Cheers

Bruce
If going to that trouble, which by the way may do nothing for the accruacy of said rifle, you may as well have a K chamber which changes head spacing from rim to shoulder.

K

Back