.22 rimfire

Not stalking, but a while ago i saw a ad in the classified section about some .22 rimfire ammo that was less powered than normal? Therefore im assuminh quieter ?

Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, anyone have any idea ?

Thanks

feaks

CCI Quiets, they’re the ones I expect. They have a bit more energy than an fac air rifle and are reasonably accurate at shortish ranges compared to CB longs and Z Langs.

jimbo1984

It will all boil down to what shoots accurately in your rifle at the end of the day but I’ve found .22 high velocity round to not be all that accurate

Already using winchester subs, there was a post about some .22 ammo for sale, that was slower again people said that they were sitable for rabbits out to 40 yeards ish etc i cant for the life of me remember what they were called, they were not normal .22 subs

Kran

Definitely CCI quiets, my .22 with regular subsonics and a mod is quieter I reckon, although that’s just my opinion as I didn’t use a monitor to check. If you don’t have a mod definitely go for them but if you do I don’t see the point. Better valve in the box of 100 cci subs.

Monkey Spanker

Barrel length will also affect noise. Apparently the ultimate length barrel for subsonic ammo is 16" to gain maximum velocity.
Imagine a barrel 100m long! The round will fire and accelerate to a maximum velocity at which point it will slow down and eventually stop. The point of max velocity is about 16" along the barrel. After that, any longer barrel is effectively slowing the bullet down due to friction as the pressure behind it gradually decreases. I had a CZ cut down from 21" to 16". It was a bloody good rifle and accurate so it was a bit of a risk. However, it was a good decision! Yes, it was slightly louder, but the accuracy improved and it seems to be flatter in trajectory.
The extra 5" you'd think would be better, but in reality just slows the bullet down.
MS

philip

Eley subs are probably the most accurate and quiet, but are greasy, I had a a Sako quad in 22LR and after 10 rounds it clogged up with Eley, I now use CCI segmented to reduce a chance of a bouncer in R93 it’s quiet and works perfectly

Koenig

Adam, buy a box each of whatever you can get at your local RFD and see what your rifle ‘prefers.’ Some guns just shoot better with certain brands. My 10/22 for instance loves CCI but doesn’t do so well with Winchester’s. So I feed it the CCI’s. If you shoot a semi-auto you will need a round that is not only accurate but cycles well too, some semi’s can be fussy. BA guns are usually less ‘choosy’ my mate’s little CZ will fire almost anything well.

Colonel

Are you thinking of the CB ( cap & ball ) 22 ammo that’s about 32fbl, it’s basically a lead ball bullet with little or no powder, if memory serves me.

Highlandsjohn

Eley subs every time. If memory serves me they were not always 'greasy' as Philip said earlier. I'm sure back in the day it was Lapua that were lubed (also excellent but cost a bit more) and now Eley follow suit.
Just to add but wasn't asked :DI agree with MS,if for pest control with a mod,16" bbl is more than enough. Mine was 12.5" for use out the jeep,I regret ever selling it...

dunwater

Not stalking, but a while ago i saw a ad in the classified section about some .22 rimfire ammo that was less powered than normal? Therefore im assuminh quieter ?

Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, anyone have any idea ?

Thanks
.22 short, standard velocity? There used to be BB and CB caps too.
Haven't seen any of them for years but the shorts were great up to 50 yards or so. Loudest noise was the firing pin fall and bullet impact.

BryanDC

Our club has used RWS Z-Langs for a while for rook shooting. They are incredibly quiet with a moderator. Quieter than an un-moderated air rifle. BUT! they have terrible accuracy in my CZ and others have had the same problem. So we have gone the other way and use Stingers now. Our local authority is only concerned with bullet mass. Not tried the CCI quiet 22s

kes

When a lot younger there was a short case .22 round available, as Dunwater says. I used it for rook/crow shooting it barely ricoched? and was incredibly quiet even without a mod. I have been trying to find some for rabbits in the garden but manage with eley subs, hollow point. I think the shorts only came in solid head and maybe thats why we no longer have them ?

gonzo

22shorts are still available. I have some CCI ones, though these are high velocity, so make quite a bang.
Though I can fit millions in my old remmington tube fed gallery gun. People ask if it will ever actually run out.

I use CCI standard velocity. They come aout at pretty much the stated 1070fps from an 18" barrel. And are very quiet used outdoors, through an old PH mod. Even in a pipe range (with PH mod) they are just about tollerable without ear protection. And that is when you are in a concrete box with it.

I agree with the sentiment about barrel length. For the 22lr I've tested, anything over around 14" is no beneift. I24" barrels only serve to lengthen the sight base for iron sight guns.
I've tested guns before and after shortening, and found no noticeable difference.

The fourth Horseman

When a lot younger there was a short case .22 round available, as Dunwater says. I used it for rook/crow shooting it barely ricoched? and was incredibly quiet even without a mod. I have been trying to find some for rabbits in the garden but manage with eley subs, hollow point. I think the shorts only came in solid head and maybe thats why we no longer have them ?
Always used on the Fairground rifle ranges .22 shorts at the moving ducks. We used them for branch shooting Rooks on 12th May in the 60's.

kes

Always used on the Fairground rifle ranges .22 shorts at the moving ducks. We used them for branch shooting Rooks on 12th May in the 60's.
It makes you think - fairground owners, many rifles, probably no adequate safe, no fixed address most of the time, no limits on ammo number held and firing in public etc, How far have we come ( gone backwards) in nearly 60 (swear word) years - but you are right !

Cootmeurer

CCI standard velocity are my "go to" round. The are barely supersonic unmoderated and fall just into subsonic with moderator. They tend to drop less so more point and shoot under normal field conditions.

I also tried the CCI quiet and they have more drop and also seem to fail to work the action on my Ruger 10-22 about 1/4 of the time.