.22 shotguns

Woodsmoke

Any of you guys own one, used one, or know of anyone who has? I've never come across one myself, but I've used the .22 shotshells once or twice. I'm thinking it might be an interesting and useful tool for rats and other small vermin inside buildings?

Muir

I had one. A Mossberg smoothbore. I was pretty unexciting but did perform better than 22 shotshells in a rifled barrel. We would launch ping pong balls a try to hit them. That fascination lasted about a month before I sold it.~Muir

User00025

Had one in my youth, ok if you stuck it in a Rat's ear but useless at five yards. Never had a lot of luck with a 3 bore (9mm) Garden gun either, ok for five yards but rubbish after that.

takbok

I've used CCI .22LR shotshells to great effect in .22 rifles for shooting rats and also killed a couple of snakes with them. I don't think it's worth the hassle to get a smoothbore .22 though.

Edit: just remembered that I also used Winchester Super X shotshells and they worked well. Was probably taking shots up to 5m away and killing rats and snakes.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

Had one in my youth, ok if you stuck it in a Rat's ear but useless at five yards. Never had a lot of luck with a 3 bore (9mm) Garden gun either, ok for five yards but rubbish after that.

About what I found. I've owned, and used, all three of the Webley bolt action shot guns. .22LR, 9mm R/F and .410". The last two here in the UK suffer from the factory cartridges not being loaded with small enough shot.

For heck's sake why did Eley only load 9mm R/F with 7 1/2 shot and the Fourlong with, from memory, 6 shot? With properly thought out cartridges...so American Skeet cartridges in 9 shot for the .410" and continental 12 shot for the 9mm R/F they would be useful on rats. Without there are simply too many gaps in the pattern to give a reliable kill at over ten or fifteen yards range. Wound, yes. Kill, no.

I even had on s2 than once the law changed s1 the "infamous" Bernadelli 9mm R/F detachable magazine self-loading shotgun. That wasn't pleasant to shoot as you got a lot of blowback muck and mess out of the ejection port as it fired.

The .22LR is probably best with the CCI shells not our British crimped shells. And, importantly, will cause less damage to buildings. Especially inside a wooded hen house. But from my experience any large rat or squirrels was more likely to come to mortal harm from cold winds on a rainy night than from any .22LR shotgun. Even on rats I would choose a BSA Airsporter or Meteor in .22" and iron sights in preference to a .22LR shotgun.

Last edited:

GWP

I had a webley 9mm was my first shotgun shot plenty of rats only fiochi carts available now.recently gave it to one of the red squirrel rangers near penrith who loves it for dispatching greys in live catch traps

Shadrach2986

I had a 9mm garden gun for ratting and close despatch, was great for that. then the firing pin went and couldn't get a new one so had to get rid of it, bloody gutted I was..

User00025

About what I found. I've owned, and used, all three of the Webley bolt action shot guns. .22LR, 9mm R/F and .410". The last two here in the UK suffer from the factory cartridges not being loaded with small enough shot.

For heck's sake why did Eley only load 9mm R/F with 7 1/2 shot and the Fourlong with, from memory, 6 shot? With properly thought out cartridges...so American Skeet cartridges in 9 shot for the .410" and continental 12 shot for the 9mm R/F they would be useful on rats. Without there are simply too many gaps in the pattern to give a reliable kill at over ten or fifteen yards range. Wound, yes. Kill, no.

I even had on s2 than once the law changed s1 the "infamous" Bernadelli 9mm R/F detachable magazine self-loading shotgun. That wasn't pleasant to shoot as you got a lot of blowback muck and mess out of the ejection port as it fired.

The .22LR is probably best with the CCI shells not our British crimped shells. And, importantly, will cause less damage to buildings. Especially inside a wooded hen house. But from my experience any large rat or squirrels was more likely to come to mortal harm from cold winds on a rainy night than from any .22LR shotgun. Even on rats I would choose a BSA Airsporter or Meteor in .22" and iron sights in preference to a .22LR shotgun.

Agree totally air rifle a much better tool. Those awful paper cartridges in the Garden gun used to leave pieces stuck in the barrel and only the cap ejected. I must admit though the Webley bolt action .410 was a good gun. Used one last year on a clay shoot with varying calibres on each stand. It was breaking clays 30+ yards out and I regularly shot rabbits at 25 yds as a kid.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I regularly shot rabbits at 25 yds as a kid.

Nah you were just a kid, you had shorter legs then. It just seemed like 25 yards. :rofl:

Any one remember the Armi Jaeger shotgun versions of the .22 semi-auto AK47 and M16 rifles pre the 1988 ban? They were a way around the law for those with only a shotgun certificate to acquire a smoothbore .22 "rifle". It was not unknown for the owners to shoot conventional .22 ammunition through them.

terrier1

I have one that is for sale if you are interested it's a bolt action. I only use it for training my dogs.