.22 underlever options

margun

I have a slot on my ticket for .22, and have hankered after an underlever for some time. It will be used as a plinking/bunny/crow rifle. Prefer 22lr as already have a WMR CZ452. Does anyone have experience or opinions on which make to go for? Build quality and of course accuracy are paramount. I like the look of the Henrys and Winchesters; is there anything to distinguish between them?

Muir

Marlin Model 39. It was the first rifle chambered for the 22 long rifle cartridge in 1897. With some modification to the loading mechanics, it had been in constant production since then with a couple of pauses for a pair of world wars. I have thre of them: Two from the 1940's and one from 1970. They are very accurate. I used to load 22 Shorts in mine and hunt pigeons. The magazine holds 28 of them. I would load once and shoot all day.

It's the original 22 Lever gun.~Muir

Southern

The Browning / Miroku is very light weight, very slick and good looking.
I gave my son one when he was 13, and he will have it forever. He mostly uses the iron sight, but has a Leupold 4x28 gloss for it.

The Marlin 39A is a full size, man-size rifle, which you might want if you plan to mount a Weaver rail and larger scope on it.
COL Larsen and Annie Oakley used them every day for trick shooting. Mine is very accurate, and feeds everything.

topscots1

Winchester 9422 fantastic rifle mine is in 22 war if you you could change calibre i could be convinced to part with it it rarely sees more than the odd range day now.

Muir

The Marlin 39A is a full size, man-size rifle, which you might want if you plan to mount a Weaver rail and larger scope on it. COL Larsen and Annie Oakley used them every day for trick shooting. Mine is very accurate, and feeds everything.
I forgot to mention this. Thanks.~Muir

enfieldspares

What he says. I had one forty years ago. And like most Marlin products a better design than the Winchester direct competing equivalent IMHO in the same calibre.

kuksmith

I had a Winchester (late 1970's made I think) and it was OK: fussy feeder but OK when it went off - until it went wrong - and then I had a load of scrap iron. Could not get parts. I now have a Marlin and find them better overall. As a dealer, I have come across a number of dubious Winchester under-levers; now it may be that they are mistreated by club shooters (mainly .357 and .44) but I do not seem to notice the same problems with Marlins.

I much prefer Marlin under lever rifles and would not go back to a (modern) Winchester.

hybridfiat

I've had 2 Browning 22LRs (Miroku made) and they are by far the best around. Light accurate and very quick. 33 degree lever throw. Way quicker than a Winchester or Marlin.
The quality is very high and they dont wear out.
By the way and underlever is a term normally used for the Underlever shotguns and rifles that had an opening lever on the bottom of the receiver.
Lever action refers to the manner that the whole eject, present and return to battery process.
Sorry, my past as a gunsmith coming back.

Last edited:

foxer243

I have to agree with everything hybridfiat says about the Browning BL-22 rifle, got one as my first .22 rifle 16 years ago and have never had any reason to change. Have put thousands of rounds through it in that time shooting many targets, rabbits and several foxes without any reliability problems. Definitely worth looking at.

Southern

After a funeral years ago, an uncle came up to me, and put his hand on my shoulder, and I knew serious advice was coming.

"I bought a Browning BL-22 a few years ago, and have regretted ever since, that I did not buy it ten years sooner. Don't wait to buy yourself a really nice .22 rifle."

So, I bought my son a BL-22, and myself a Marlin 39 Deluxe. Both great stuff.

P.S.: If you buy a Marlin 39A, you will soon be itching for a .357, .44 or .30-30 lever action.

Last edited:

gixer1

I currently have a 9422 Winchester for sale, I also have a 9422M for sale! (never advertised on here though) if you are ever up this way feel free to have a look/shoot of them to see if they meet your requirements.

Regards,

Gixer.

gixer1

I should also comment that I have 2 Winchesters and also had a Marlin 30-30 and I found the Winchesters are a nicer rifle, nothing wrong with the Marlins but just not as nice and smooth as the Winchesters (and my Winchesters have not fired many shots at all (they have just been taken out of storage after 3 years) all under levers have actions that look like they were chiseled out with a hammer and cold chisel, but they work!:rofl:

scrumbag

P.S.: If you buy a Marlin 39A, you will soon be itching for a .357, .44 or .30-30 lever action.
He's not kidding, If easier on licensing I'd probably have a .44mag lever

Winchester 9422 fantastic rifle mine is in 22 war if you you could change calibre i could be convinced to part with it it rarely sees more than the odd range day now.
Had a 9422 and loved it! Again, if licensing easier would buy another one...

The deer man

Got be a Marlin Original Golden 39M (Mountie), the carbine version of the 39A - if you can find one! Had one for a few years now which I found in terrible condition, gave it a complete refurbishment and would never get rid of it.

I shoot CCI Velociter (about 1,450 fps) into 2" at 100 yards and I think that's pretty good! That's when the scope is on it, a Leopold 2-7x32. Otherwise I use Skinner peep sights which are great fun and accurate.

Now maybe someone can enlighten me but have Marlin stopped making the 39A?! Can't find it on their website.

markyw

Another vote for the Marlin 39A. Shoots like a peach, well made and great fun.
They are also take down, which is great for getting all of that .22LR crud out of the receiver/action.

I also have a Marlin 1894CS in .357 mag, but I bought this first which led me onto the .22 version.

You'll enjoy whatever you buy, by the sound of things.

Mark

EDIT: Forgot to say, find an older one as they are much better put together.

Last edited:

margun

Hi all, apologies for the delay in getting back to thank you all for the advice- really appreciated. A tough choice and varied opinion. In the end I happened upon a very nice .22lr Winchester 9422 (s-l-lr) in my local gun shop. £475, which is more than I intended on spending but the rifle is in such good condition and solidly built, not to mention sought after, that I knew I'd be walking out with a deal.

Didnt scope it at first, but my eyesight is so pants at range that I had to. Have to say I'm really very happy with it- great fun and great accuracy. Will post some pictures at some point.

ps now want a 357 or 44 :)