.222 beginner to loading

Kernow

hi all any help much appreciated I'm going to load my tika 595 .I have some hornady 55gr and some vihtavuori 130 .I have been on the vh site and looked at there data just double checking iff this is the one to follow or are there others many thanks

Conure

When I began reloading some decades ago the good advice then was buy a good reloading manual and read it. Despite the digital age that advice still holds good although I doubt many both to follow it today and that is possibly one reason for so many reloading questions on forums. Perhaps if we were to step back more to basics then there would be less need fo such pleas and questions!

Now a question for you. Have your thought of using 50 grain bullets? Match ones seem to be in 52 and 53 grain weight. The .222 Remington was alway a round that interested me and one that I have been shooting occasionally at the local rifle club.

Kernow

sorry iff I haven't made it clear but I haven't problems with load data on 40 and 50 grn bullets but I seem to have limited info on the 55grn bullets in the two books I have

JTO

My Nosler manual shows 19.5 - 21.5 grns of N130 with 19.5 being the most accurate for that powder.

Conure

It is often said that the 222 Remington is at it's weight limit with 55 grain bullets and performs better with the 50 grainers. That is probably why you finding less information for 55 grain bullets.

bewsher500

always go with powder manufacturer data IMO

plenty of data there

3,655Soft PointLapua53,52.106N1201,1918.485828151,2719.69132995
N1301,2619.487128581,3420.79333061
N1331,3520.888328971,4722.79493114
N1351,4021.689629401,5023.19563136

as always this is a guide
your rifle may be well under or over any of the specs on their rifle and load

in practice the difference between 19.4gr and 20.7gr is minimal

as to weight limits
its not weight its length

I run 60gr Hornady flat base soft points in two 1:14" twist .222s with solid results

you dont say which hornady 55gr you are using
if its Vmax the bullet length is longer than the soft points
results will vary depending on rifle and load

Muir

thanks for your reply the bullets are hornady 55gr spsx
How did you end up with 55 gr bullets for the .222? I hope your dealer didn't recommend them. As mentioned, they are the upper end of 222 (1-14" twist) suitability. I shoot 52 grain from my Deuces. Works like a champ for accuracy. Forty grain bullets for Varmints.~Muir

exmarksman9870

i just got some 50g ppu to try in my .222 ,factory ppu loads shot sub moa at 100m going to be pennys per round if they run sweet,,,

Woodlander

I have the one book/one calibre.
For Vhit 130 start at 17.3 for 2700fps 18.2 for 2800 19.1 for 2900 20.1 for 3000
and a 'use with caution' 21.0 for 3100, COL :2.130. The test rifle had a 24" barrel with 1:14 twist.
All mine were most accurate with a 50gr around the 3050 mark.
Good luck.

plumber01

from my experience of using Viht, you may find they are quite optimistic with speeds , I have found this with several different calibers , typically about 5% so that 3050 is more like 2900. when loading 222 or 223 , just remember there is very little difference between min and max, so possibly go up in smaller amounts, keeping an eye out for flat primers, and sticky bolts, is you can chrono the bullets, maybe just aim for about 3000 to 3100 ish and gradually work up to a load that delivers this , just keeping an eye out for pressure signs . good luck

takbok

from my experience of using Viht, you may find they are quite optimistic with speeds , I have found this with several different calibers , typically about 5% so that 3050 is more like 2900. when loading 222 or 223 , just remember there is very little difference between min and max, so possibly go up in smaller amounts, keeping an eye out for flat primers, and sticky bolts, is you can chrono the bullets, maybe just aim for about 3000 to 3100 ish and gradually work up to a load that delivers this , just keeping an eye out for pressure signs . good luck
Good advice. Generally speeds are optimistic and it's possible to exceed the recommended max charge to achieve stated velocities as long as pressure isn't excessive.

Conure

It seems that the fact that it is almost impossible to get two barrels to produce exactly the same results still has not been realised and understood. In the same way that it is very unlikely that two different barrels will produce the same pressures. So reloading data in in fact a guide and cannot be much more unless you happen to acquire the exact barrel used in it's development! This is why instructions to start low and work up charges was always given and why there are starting loads published.

Many things effect internal ballistics from humidity to altitude so having identical conditions to those that were in place when the data was worked up is just about impossible.

It is a guide people nothing more than a guide.

The tramp

It seems that the fact that it is almost impossible to get two barrels to produce exactly the same results still has not been realised and understood. In the same way that it is very unlikely that two different barrels will produce the same pressures. So reloading data in in fact a guide and cannot be much more unless you happen to acquire the exact barrel used in it's development! This is why instructions to start low and work up charges was always given and why there are starting loads published.

Many things effect internal ballistics from humidity to altitude so having identical conditions to those that were in place when the data was worked up is just about impossible.

Well said that man.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Border

The British Muir :D

Conure

The British Muir :D
I would take that as a compliment but sadly it is not true. I have not hand loaded anything for quite a few years now even though I still have some reloading stuff. When I first started shooting several club members shared their wisdom of reloading both pistol and rifle cartridges and at first I reloaded using their presses and dies until getting my own. Several lent me reloading manuals so there was a choice to look at and compare. I found that some had layouts that were easier for me to get on with so that is the one that was purchased to use.

The club owned several club guns and they found that although of the same make and model they handled loads differently so loads were developed to suit all of them. These may not have been the best for each individual gun but they shot reasonably well in all with out issues. A fad at the time was the Browning BLR in 223 with several club members and it was noticed that all three were quite individual in their likes and dislikes in ammunition. I learnt a lot during that time and of course made some mistakes along the way this led to the purchase of a kinetic hammer.

As for Brithunter it is said that he is a member of the rifle club that I now belong to but we have never met that I am aware of. Mind you it has been a while since we managed a visit there and several months since I last got to shoot.

nun_hunter

Just finished developing a load for my recently acquired 222 and sticking to recommended powder charges I didn't find a single decent group. Things only came together at 26.8 grains, 0.6 over max. No pressure signs or issues and I worked up quite safely to get there.

Conure

Just finished developing a load for my recently acquired 222 and sticking to recommended powder charges I didn't find a single decent group. Things only came together at 26.8 grains, 0.6 over max. No pressure signs or issues and I worked up quite safely to get there.
Not the first time I have seen this mentioned. At a guess I would suggest that you barrel produces less pressure hence the need to go up in charge weight. Only testing over a chrono will tell if this is really the case or not.

Last edited:

takbok

Not the first time I have seen this mentioned. At a guess I would suggest that you barrel produces less pressure ence the need to go up in charge weight. Only testing over a chrono will tell if this is really the case or not.
No, most likely his barrel is just average and the load data is generally on the low side. The .222 is generally loaded relatively low as its SAAMI limit is 50 000psi.