.222 for roe

User00003

anyone shoot/shot .222 for roe and felt it was a decent choice for chest and neck shots? did you use HP or SP bullets? will normally be using .243 or larger, but if one was out for vermin with the treple two and came across a nice summer buck......you get my drift...

Have shot 20-30 Roe with a 222 all chest shots the only problem with 50gn bullets is if you hit a rib on the way in they make a bit of a mess.
222 no problem with roe deer shot placement is the key but with a 222 soft point or v max they dont get back up and bugger of neck chest/ shots will down them fast as will a head shot but not recomended for new shooters they are very acurate little guns dont shoot beyond your limits and the gun will fill the freezer

I have used a .222, with a 50grn SP for Roe in Scotland for a good while - in my experience (chest shots only) certainly up to the job. I am sure that it would perform on appropriate neck shoots if necessary.

Foxes really do not like either the 40 or 50grn ballistic tip or SP respectively. Here in the south the calibre is excellent for a 'woods' Muntjac/Fox rifle.

With a shorter barrel (dont know what my Tikka M595 is) light to carry and very 'shootable'.

I really fancy a 222 for woodland roe stalking, I did have a 223 which I wish now I had held onto . . . .the 25-06 is cracking on the hill and clear fell but a bit much at 50 yards in the trees.

i have shot a nice few roe in scotland with my 22250 55gr sierra gamekings.
i have shot 2 munty and 1 roe with my .222magnum all very dead.
if it were legal here i would personally use the triple for roe more often.
i use it as my recon gun(a mini mannlicher half stock and small variable zeiss whole thing weighs about 5 1/2 lb) so when out assessing bucks can shoot rabbit-fox with it and any injured roe deer i might find hence 1 roe buck who was limping very badly.
was very disapointed it wasn't made legal a few years ago

Hi All

I have used a 222 on and off for almost thirty seven years and have shot many roe in all that time . It is all about bullet placement as it is a very capable calibre and neck shots are particularly lethal in my own experiences. I think that the soft points such as Norma, Sellior & Bellot and Remington are better killers than the varmint rounds which fragment too easily and can be destructive with the venison.

Alan

My first centre fire was a 222 Brno Fox (50g Norma sp) some years back, which was ideal for roe & fox.

An accurate wee rifle as I recall, which on the odd occasion I regret selling. :(

I shot some Rusa Stags in Mauritius with a .222; they were neck and head shots.

The deer didn`t complain . The Rusa is a largish deer and the locals use .222 regularly as they can also use it for rabbits and macaques. I think we were using 50gr SP.

I just got rid of my Remington 700 BDL in .222 and replaced it with a Blaser semi weight barrell in the same calibre. I am expecting good things from it!

All i shoot is my .222. Good all rounder for Roe, fox. Federal 50grn sp first round i tryed and it shoots perfect every round.
FS25

I was stuck between the Triple 2 or the 22-250, I went for the 22-250, it's dropped every Roe I have shot with it. Again shot placement is the key.

I think any of the .22CF's are upto the job, no doubts.

If you can justify it, get one, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. My 22-250 shoots 55gr Federal Powershoks very well and Remington Soft Point 55gr very well too.

I wouldn't however use a ballistic tip on Deer from a .22CF though as I don't think there is enough retained power to push the Ballistic tip through the skin/bone during expansion. With the soft point bullets, there has been no problems, all have exited in a predictable manner (ie- the other side of the entry hole) there has been no tracking down or up the rib cage/body of the deer.

Good Luck!

I shot some Rusa Stags in Mauritius with a .222; they were neck and head shots.

The deer didn`t complain . The Rusa is a largish deer and the locals use .222 regularly as they can also use it for rabbits and macaques. I think we were using 50gr SP.

I just got rid of my Remington 700 BDL in .222 and replaced it with a Blaser semi weight barrell in the same calibre. I am expecting good things from it!

Conor, you got rid of a rifle ! Are you feeling ok ?

i have shot a nice few roe in scotland with my 22250 55gr sierra gamekings.
i have shot 2 munty and 1 roe with my .222magnum all very dead.
if it were legal here i would personally use the triple for roe more often.
i use it as my recon gun(a mini mannlicher half stock and small variable zeiss whole thing weighs about 5 1/2 lb) so when out assessing bucks can shoot rabbit-fox with it and any injured roe deer i might find hence 1 roe buck who was limping very badly.
was very disapointed it wasn't made legal a few years ago
Wasn't that down to the BDS?

in case anyone is wondering why I posted this, it's because I've always shot roe with .243 or 6.5x55, but I need to have a .22CF for fox, rabbit, crow, rook, magpie, etc. however, I don't want it to mean that if I'm out varminting I can't take a nice buck if I see one...yes I'm in Scotland, and yes, I'm a decent enough shot for boiler rooms or neck if I wish....so just checking what others think :) ..ps. thank you all for your replies to this point.

Hi Si!

I am thinning the collection; anything non Blaser is for sale, with the exception of my old Mauser! Hope all is well

Back