.222 muntjac/ fox bullet choice

Tabs

Morning all,

can anyone kindly offer offer advice for a bullet choice for dual use small deer and fox load in 222.
looking for a bullet that will expand and exit consistantly at 222 velocities without too much carcass damage.

will be looking to achieve around 2900- 3000fps with v n120 or 130 from standard t3 barrel.

Thanks!

Tabs

ChesterP

55g Sierra Gameking #1365 I've found pretty good, with reliable expansion and decent penetration. I use them in a .223 at around 3200fps. You should easily achieve around 2900-3000 fps using about 22g-ish N133 with a .222.

riflerob

I'd suggest using a different bullet for each quarry, because you have different objectives.

Fox, you want explosive V-max type expansion and fragmentation. A catastrophic kill, the bullet disintegrating within that narrow body cavity and taking out as many organs as possible.

For munty you want expansion without that fragmentation, to reduce meat damage. So ideally a softpoint. The bullet slamming to a stop, killing by hydrostatic shock.

Tabs

I understand your point Rob, but not sure I agree that a different round is required, hence asking advice on others experience of cal specific bullets that will expand well on a fox and also exit small deer at the stated velocity without ruining the front end of carcass.
i am trying to avoid different rounds for each cal'. even take the 7mm with my all round stalking load out foxing sometimes just for a change. They drop quick enough for my conscience.

Whitebeard

55grn Gameking as has already been stated, hit a fox in the kill zone with any 224 cal bullet and you will dispatch it no problem.

Ian.

Biathlonjimmy

55gr Privi SP bullets are cheap and effective. I use factory loads in my .22-250 if I'm foxing in muntjac areas instead of h/load 52gr amax. Highly effective on Charlie. Drops muntjac on the spot. They run at 3600fps probably a little to fast imo for deer but I rarely use them for that purpose. It just keeps me legal if the opportunity arises. (even if it were legal a 52gr amax at 3950fps would not be appropriate, cuts Charlie near in half.).

I think those bullets out of your .222 would be an excellent match and better suited to those speeds for the multi quarry purpose you're looking for.

Uncas

If .222s still mostly have 1/12 or 1/14 twist rates these days like my old sako they wont stabilize anything over 52/53gr bullets.

Jimnydriver

My Anschutz and Brno Fox .222 won't stabilize anything over 50 gn... I use Scierra Varminter 50 gn SPT 1320 ,SMP 1330,Blitz 1340 for fox and roe with no problems what so ever... and they are reasonably priced.

David.

nun_hunter

I'd stick with the game king bullets as they will be superb on roe a d will still drop a fox without any bother. I use an 85grain game king in my 243 for fallow/roe and fox. It performs very well on deer, far surpassing the expectations for a 6mm 85 grain and every fox has dropped on the spot too.

Or stick with a light varmint bullet and only head/neck shoot the muntjac to save meat but you do limit yourself to the shots you can effectively/humanely take.

nun_hunter

If .222s still mostly have 1/12 or 1/14 twist rates these days like my old sako they wont stabilize anything over 52/53gr bullets.
It's more the length than weight. My 222 shoots flat based 53 grain matchkings but won't stabilise the 50grain blitzking with its ballistic tip and boat tail.

bewsher500

I use 60gr Hornady SP "Varmint" in my .222 (flat base in a 1:14")
its a soft point that drops Roe very well
no fox has every shrugged one off

as to the "you need two bullets" for two jobs.
My Uncle only had one rifle.
A BSA Majestic in .270

he shot everything from hoodie crows, foxes, roe, red, all with the same 130gr Norma factory ammo

remarkably effective on a fox!

Mungo

Find a deer round that you're happy with and it will always kill foxes. The opposite isn't always true.

I've only shot factory loads in .222, but have found Sako 50gr and 55gr soft points, and Norma 50gr soft points all to work well on both foxes and roe.

I'm in the process of exploring a little further, but my guess is i'll end up back with Sako 50gr soft points. The bullet looks like a fairly standard flat based soft point.