.223 1 in 8 roe round

Gibbo1987

Looking to create a round specific for roe. Was thinking soft point 50-70gr. Accuracy is key.
What would you guys suggest.
Cheers
danny.

73gn Berger over 25gn of Varget (COL 2.250") is superbly accurate and works well on Foxes. I haven't tried it on Roe due to English legislation limitation.

Cheers gents I currently use only factory. But now starting to reload going to try some home loads. Looking to stock up at the shooting show.

This is a problem I'll have in a few weeks (my 223 is having a 1 in 8" twist barrel fitted at the moment). I'll be trying the Barnes TSX in 62 & 70 grains options if I can source any. --- If I can't get any I'll default back to either Sierra GK or the Hornady SP as previously mentioned.
I like the way Barnes don't break up & loose weight - especially valuable in the light small bullet calibres to ensure full penetration.

Ian

This is a problem I'll have in a few weeks (my 223 is having a 1 in 8" twist barrel fitted at the moment). I'll be trying the Barnes TSX in 62 & 70 grains options if I can source any. --- If I can't get any I'll default back to either Sierra GK or the Hornady SP as previously mentioned.
I like the way Barnes don't break up & loose weight - especially valuable in the light small bullet calibres to ensure full penetration.

Ian
Ian. I tried the 62 gners out of my 9 twist ruger 223 mainly on goats. Whilst it does kill them, it tended to pencil and I never recovered a projectile. The 55 and 63 gn sierras not only ate a third the price, but the put the goats down fast. The barnes tended to leave them walking a bit dying on their feet. Having hunted roe in UK I know you will want to put the beasty on the ground as fast as possible.
That being said, a mate recently shot 4 large pigs for 4 shots with his 12 twist sako 223 using 52 gn Barnes.
The conclusion is the heavier Barnes are not going fast enough in the 223 to achieve the desired effect. These were all tsx projectiles, I haven't used the. Ttsx in my 223.

Thanks mate, Yeh im sure the 80's would perform the same but with a bit more energy. I know two or three people who use the 140 Amax to fantastic effect. :D

Steve

Good points Bigoak thanks. Clearly as the bullet diameter gets smaller the bullet impact velocity becomes more of an issue w.r.t. expansion & the 223 looses velocity potential quickly as bullet weight rises.
Do you know what muzzle velocity you were achieving with the 62 grainers?
I don't see any TTSX offerings from Barnes in .224 cal. Do they actually make them? --- I go for the tipped versions of the Barnes range where possible as they are supposed to expand quicker than the TSX.

Ian

I have an old Speer manual, a Barnes one & the Richard Lee 2nd Edition. --- I refer to these PLUS appropriate bullet & powder manufacturers' online data & cross check as many as possible.
That way I reduce the likelihood of errors - mine or the publishers.

Ian

Back