223 ammunition

captain jon

Just ordered a tika t3 s/s in 223 which will be my dedicated foxing rifle what ammunition would you try first?

DVS1

Norma 50gr varmint is a great quality round that I found gave me .75 - .5 moa groups on my rem700. Also gives you good brass to reload if you go that route later 😉

Depending on your twist rate which I'm guessing is 1:12?

I also found Winchester Varmint Pro 55gr ammunition also gave great results and are nice and cheap too

Rhodesianjess

One of my beaters uses Hornady practice ammo. Accurate and drops anything it's fired at. Memory serves its 55 grain,his rifle is a How's.

captain jon

Norma 50gr varmint is a great quality round that I found gave me .75 - .5 moa groups on my rem700. Also gives you good brass to reload if you go that route later 😉

Depending on your twist rate which I'm guessing is 1:12?

I also found Winchester Varmint Pro 55gr ammunition also gave great results and are nice and cheap too
Thanks for that I'll try those the twist rate is 1:8 will that make a difference?

DVS1

Thanks for that I'll try those the twist rate is 1:8 will that make a difference?
Shouldn't do, mine is a 1:8 and works fine. You can use the heavier bullets though with your twist rate. I reload 60gr & 69gr STMK but have a few boxes of 50gr & 55gr factory just incase

darkbaldrick

I tend to use 55 v max and not had one walk away yet. Bit of a compromise between light and flat shooting and heavy enough to go through a bit of veg or bone.

captain jon

Try some of everything you can get your hands on, mine liked 55gr vmax. Ymmv
I will but there's a lot to choose from. are the 55gr vmax suitable for crows and magpie at 200-300 yards or should I go 40gr but then a heavier bullet would be more stable at 300 yards

g.u.y

I will but there's a lot to choose from. are the 55gr vmax suitable for crows and magpie at 200-300 yards or should I go 40gr but then a heavier bullet would be more stable at 300 yards

55grainers will certainly do the job

Cows94

I've a 1:12 Sako 85 XS Varmint in .223 & it really struggled with all factory offerings at 50gr or above. Did ok with the 40gr Vmax. Ended up making a copy of the Sako Gamehead Varmint based on the Sierra Blitz king 50gr bullet & Sako brass. It'll shoot ragged holes with these

jay 22

40 50 or 55 bt ammo will do the trick.would try the a box of each. And see which shoots well in it

Tf223

The cheapest 50ish grain BT ammo (vermin control only) I can find, with the intention that if it shoots straight but a load and stick with it.