223 Foxing rig

Highlander

A friend of mine posted this another site, and I thought we would have some useful opinions, that could help him.

Looking for some thoughts please.
Plan to put a fast handling .223 rem together for Foxing. Max range will be 250 yards, 300 @absolute outside.
Use of sound moderator is a must.
My thoughts would be along the lines of a krieger No 5 profile, finished at 22 inches, using 50-55 V-max/A-max, with either Benchmark or Vit 133.

Any further thoughts much appreciated.

On on his behalf thank you for any input.

bewsher500

Any 222/223 in any format can do that
i use a beaten up Brno with shortened 20" barrel and pes moderator
52gr AMax zeroed at 200yds
shoots flat further than I am willing to shoot in the dark where I go

247sniper

Any 204/222/223 would do the job. If you are using factory then I would go .223 and if you are reloading id go 204.

I personally wouldn't go out from scratch and buy a .222 as it has no advantages over the .204/223. Just under powered by comparison.

Steve.

bewsher500

Any 204/222/223 would do the job. If you are using factory then I would go .223 and if you are reloading id go 204.

I personally wouldn't go out from scratch and buy a .222 as it has no advantages over the .204/223. Just under powered by comparison.

Steve.

Except they are half the price to buy as everyone wants a .223/204

jonylandrover

+1 on tikka t3 and ppu 50gr ammo. Works perfectly at the stated ranges. Never had a fox complain about my non custom built rifle and ammo choice.

Highlander

Thank you for the answers, I will give him the news -if he has not been watching the thread.
Basically save your money.
Regards,
Highlander.

hybridfiat

Buy a cheap unwanted .222 and have a gunsmith run a 223 finishing reamer into it. Bingo! Thats all we did with my .222 There's nothing else to do except to ensure the head space is spot on.

Markfox

Buy a cheap unwanted .222 and have a gunsmith run a 223 finishing reamer into it. Bingo! Thats all we did with my .222 There's nothing else to do except to ensure the head space is spot on.

Isnt the chamber a different shape ? , and isn't a .222 about a 1-14 twist where as most .223 are 1-12 or less And wouldn't you have to get it re proofed and then get it re entered onto your FAC as a .223 ? As I don't think you should be buying .223 ammo to shoot out of your .222

I could be really wrong and if I am then I oppologise but your comment doesn't sound right

bewsher500

or just shoot it as a .222 and realise its the perfect cartridge for fox and small deer!!

spend your money on a scope

hybridfiat

Isnt the chamber a different shape ? , and isn't a .222 about a 1-14 twist where as most .223 are 1-12 or less And wouldn't you have to get it re proofed and then get it re entered onto your FAC as a .223 ? As I don't think you should be buying .223 ammo to shoot out of your .222

I could be really wrong and if I am then I oppologise but your comment doesn't sound right
The 22 is what ever twist it was made with ie 12 or 14 but unless you intend to used long bullets it isn't an issue. My .223 was 1:14 from the factory as it was meant for varminting. The chamber shape is the same taper and the base dia the same. I dont know what your rules are about reproofing. We dont do it here. Yes I expect that unless you reload you'll have to relicense it.

private fraser

The 22 is what ever twist it was made with ie 12 or 14 but unless you intend to used long bullets it isn't an issue. My .223 was 1:14 from the factory as it was meant for varminting. The chamber shape is the same taper and the base dia the same. I dont know what your rules are about reproofing. We dont do it here. Yes I expect that unless you reload you'll have to relicense it.
I'm interested in what bullet weight range your 1:14 rifle will shoot accurately ?

247sniper

I'm interested in what bullet weight range your 1:14 rifle will shoot accurately ?

My mates .222 has a 1:14 twist, it will shoot 40/50 Vmax very very well but the longer "decent" bullet like the 52 AMax it won't shoot, stability is probably the issue at around 1-1.5 MOA at 100 yards at best.

This is is where a 1:12 twist .223 would be better is you were wanting to shoot deer or if it's just fox then a .204 and 40 grain bullets is awesome, accurate and devastating performance.

You could try and get a 1:8 twist .223, this will help you with heaveyier bullets for longer range work if you want too?

Steve

bewsher500

I shoot 60gr Soft Points and 52gr Amax out of a 1:14" twist chopped down 20ish" BRNO

the 60's are Hornady Varmint SP - 20.8gr N133 in Norma brass, CCI400's - circa 2850-2950fps, don't know, don't really care
the 52's are Amax - 22.6gr N133 same as above - circa 3100fps - equally disinterested in actual Fps!

The 60's are well inside an inch and depending on whether i can be bothered to use a bench and bag will shoot to ragged holes or similar
The 52's are not disimilar but were all in around the 1/2-1" range and I stopped messing with the load as they do what they need to

its a stalking foxing rifle more often shot off sticks....see no value wasting powder to chase a single hole group!

the trick with shooting heavy for calibre bullets is to find the velocity sweet spot

if I increase the velocity even slightly on the 60gr the groups will open up like a shotgun!

the 52gr should be well within the 1:14" capabilities
55gr is the usual expectation for upper limit on .222's

heavy for calibre bullets in .222

if you are wondering what a 60gr sp does to deer I can say with some authority it is awesome!!
taken them out to 180-190yds
clinical entry and exit, through and through both shoulders
solid hits in the chest and they do not run

Last edited:

jay 22

20 inch 223 will do the job nicely. off the shelf. no need to buy a action to rebarrel. unless he finds one dead cheap

247sniper

A reason that the 60 grain SP bullet may stabilises is probably due to the length and not the weight. This bullet has a length of 0.7" the 60Vmax has a length of 0.87", and the 52 Amax has a length of 0.79".

This is a common miss- conception in that people seem to think it's to do with bullet weight that causes stability issues, while it does play a part, the length is the main contributing factor.

The 52Amax has less chance of stabilising then the 60 grain SP as it's is a longer bullet.
Steve.

bewsher500

60 grain SP 0.7" - shortest
52 AMax has a length of 0.79"
60 VMax has a length of 0.87"

The 52 AMax has less chance of stabilising then the 60 grain SP as it's is a longer bullet.
But they do stabilise and don't show the velocity threshold that the 60gr do

are those Ogive to base measurements?

just measured mine tip to base and they are actually :

60gr SP 3/4" - 0.755" - 19.2mm
52gr AMax 53/64" - 0.82" - 21mm

VMax are actually a flatter base and slightly shorter than the AMax
I actually tried them but they wouldn't group and I couldn't be arsed trying as I have lots of AMax!

MARCBO

Account Suspended
In 1975 I bought a new XP100 with a 10.5" barrel in 221 Fireball. Once I got it home I ran a 223 reamer in the 1:12 barrel. Its was very accurate with 55gr loads. Muzzle blast was extreme but the thing shot like a rifle. Eventually I installed a 20 inch barrel, Remington 600 trigger and put it in a McMillan stock. Made a great little single-shot hunting rifle

SS