223 small deer load

Free range rob

Am looking at getting a load for munt and Chinese, I was looking at Sierra bullets as already use them with good results in other calibres, suprised to see they didn’t have anything for .223
so, suggestions please.

Free range rob

Plenty of Sierra options 50gr and up. If you have a faster twist the 65gr gameking would be good.

(You need to select the .224 option for 223 Rem reloading)

Barnes 50gr TTSX gets my vote.
Agreed, but everything I look at, says out of stock.
i do have the faster twist of 1:8 so would happily run 65grns

However, I’m sorely tempted to try the lead free option now you have mentioned it.

takbok

Agreed, but everything I look at, says out of stock.
i do have the faster twist of 1:8 so would happily run 65grns

However, I’m sorely tempted to try the lead free option now you have mentioned it.
The 55gr TTSX would be good in the 1:8 but I'm sure there won't be a big difference between the two.

Bushwear has stock of these and they would both work well for deer:

scrumbag

I have used the 65gr Gameking to good effect on munties and CWD.

About to try 55gr Nosler E-tips and 58gr Peregrines in the .223 Rem as well.

Factory wise, try the 62gr Federal Fusion. I like those a lot.

Scrummy

andyk

I've only managed one muntjac with it, but I loaded up with 55gr Gameking soft points and was happy with the result. Full penetration with a chest shot on an adult doe and an appropriate amount of tissue damage (as in, it didn't blow the deer to bits but didn't just stab a hole in it). I'd happily use it on roe were it legal for me.

Free range rob

Cheers guys.
Unfortunately both my local Rfd keep nothing for the 223 other than vmax, so time to develop my own load.
Few choices there to have a play around with 👍

Free range rob

I have used the 65gr Gameking to good effect on munties and CWD.

About to try 55gr Nosler E-tips and 58gr Peregrines in the .223 Rem as well.

Factory wise, try the 62gr Federal Fusion. I like those a lot.

Scrummy
I would be very interested to see what results you have from the peregrines, I keep questioning myself why I am thinking of developing a lead load first to have to change over in the future.

caberslash

For the .222/.223, we need to remember that what made the round so devastating was high velocity, frangible bullets prone to deflection inside the carcass and of course superb accuracy.

There is a long standing trend towards pushing the .223 towards 5.56X45 NATO standards of heavy for calibre, high B.C bullets and fast twist barrels. Mostly driven by target shooters but hunters have taken to it as well.

If you read the literature regarding early AR-15's which used the .223 Remington (the Brits used them in a limited capacity in Borneo and Malaya before the Yanks adopted them!), the long, slow twist barrels shooting 55 grain bullets were absolutely devastating due to their tendency to deflect when encountering tissue.

Personally, I'd be happy to use a .223 on any UK deer inside of 200m, but as distances increase I'd prefer a .243 or larger calibre to carry greater sectional density without compromising on muzzle velocity.

My Sako L461 which has a 1:14, 23.5 barrel shoots 50 grain flat base soft points better than I can, and I believe the trick is sticking to a short bullet with a flat base (Sierra even make a 63 grain flat base bullet). Sierra's own load data was developed on a 1:14 twist barrel!

antsa

Have used the Sierras - 55gr BK and 55gr HPBT - on fallow. Ranges 100 - 150m. No problems. My, for me, best shot was with a 50g Sierra BK at 255m. Headshot a very large buck kangaroo albeit the conditions were absolutely perfect. Today the 50g BK is my standard load in my 1:12" varmint barrel.

Cheers

njc110381

I've seen great results from 65gr Gamekings. I used to use them now and again and a regular shooting buddy of mine uses them a lot. A bit more weight gets the velocity down which is no bad thing. I'd also look at the Barnes as they hold together extremely well and carcass damage is minimal. A 50gr or 55gr would be spot on I would have thought.

Farmer Geddon

Would be wary about using frangible bullets for any deer, on CWD & Muntjac I use Norma 50gr sp in my .222, works well, much less meat damage, & a good fox round too. I value those ribs (venison lollipops) on the bbq, simple delicious, & it spoils if I have to throw them to the dog. A bit expensive though, but whats a few pence when you got a freezer full of CWD & Munty/

A21MEO

I find that 55gr SGK and Norma Oryx over a full case of N140 are both very effective on muntjac, CWD and (when in Scotland) roe. 1:12 Sako 75. Both bullets have the same POI with identical powder charge.