223 vs 22-250 report

Malxwal

Well, got the green light for a 223 or 22-250 for use on roe fox and vermin. The ground has houses dotted around nearby, and a fair amount of horses on adjacent land (which I also shoot over).
I've already asked about the pros and cons of a 223, I already have a 243 and permission to use it on this land. My query is regarding report, as I've read (and not experienced) the report from a 22-250 is quite loud in comparison with a similarly moderated 223.
What would those who've encountered them all think, would a 223 be the best bet for less report ? I might add that any roe here will be taken at close range, ir under 100 yds.
​Oh, and hurry up, I'd like to get this variation filled in and away :D

dlz90

Well, got the green light for a 223 or 22-250 for use on roe fox and vermin. The ground has houses dotted around nearby, and a fair amount of horses on adjacent land (which I also shoot over).
I've already asked about the pros and cons of a 223, I already have a 243 and permission to use it on this land. My query is regarding report, as I've read (and not experienced) the report from a 22-250 is quite loud in comparison with a similarly moderated 223.
What would those who've encountered them all think, would a 223 be the best bet for less report ? I might add that any roe here will be taken at close range, ir under 100 yds.
​Oh, and hurry up, I'd like to get this variation filled in and away :D

As you already have a 243 my vote goes to the 223 and yes it will be quieter.....

Cut+Squirt

I've shot both and the 22-250 is significantly louder to my ears... which stands to reason
of course as its burning quite a bit more powder ... Of all the 224s my preference
is with the .222

Don't feel restricted to 100 yards with the .223 . .. it's quite capable of dealing
with roe significantly further than that.

Last edited:

pendle

Go for the .223. A .243 with wnchester silver balistic tips 55grn goes a lot faster than a 22.250

Malxwal

Thanks people, your wisdom appreciated. I couldn't really see the benefit of the 22-250 over the 243 anyway, but the noise issue swings it, as the livery nearby is owned by family friends,and I personally know most of the other householders as well, so I must minimise any disturbance. The distribution of fresh venison will also help...

bewsher500

I went through this same decision making process
houses 20 yds from fairways, flats overlooking

I used a well moderated WMR prior to this but needed a tad more range and more importantly more energy for dropping them on the spot.
10 yds of running is a garden in many cases for me

I moved to a 20" barrelled .222 with a PES overbarrel mod
It is probably quieter than the WMR and chucks 50gr VMax at 3000fps

more than enough IMO

Arbshot

Go for the .223 with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist barrel, all the powder is burnt in a 20 inch barrel, ( mine shoots well out to 600y as I mentioned before), accuracy is still excellent and by the time you have added a moderator the rifle is still balanced and easier to use from a vehicle. Highly recommend the PES .22 cf models, I have the muzzle can version and it is light but effective, not a large diameter so glare from a lamp doesn't catch the rear surface.
I regularly shoot foxes around stables, one of my permissions has race horses!

jay 22

223 will suite your needs perfect. as you already have 243. got the ideal choice of calibres then.

Cut+Squirt

I went through this same decision making process
houses 20 yds from fairways, flats overlooking

I used a well moderated WMR prior to this but needed a tad more range and more importantly more energy for dropping them on the spot.
10 yds of running is a garden in many cases for me

I moved to a 20" barrelled .222 with a PES overbarrel mod
It is probably quieter than the WMR and chucks 50gr VMax at 3000fps

more than enough IMO

I have the same and it's a fantastic roe set up.