.22WMR rifle safety question

Markfox

I've debated a .22WMR for a long time , and now thought sell the .22LR and .22 Hornet and just have a .22WMR for occasional fox and rabbits

the only thing that bothers me is do .22WMR rifles blow up or lodge bullets in the barrel like the 17HMR etc seeing as it's a shared case between them

i just want to chamber round after round , shoot it and not worry in the slightest about any of the above issues

i would be using hornady v max which also doesn't help with the known above problems

thank you all

Last edited:

EMcC

.22 Wmr round sticking in the barrel ?
Never heard of such a thing nor suspected it would be possible.
The one I used, a Heckler and Koch semi auto, chucked 40gns of copper jacketed bullets out at over 2000 fps with no trouble at all.
I also have a friend with a Brno/CZ Semi auto .22Wmr and that performs with no hiccups whatsoever and if I had known about the Brno/CZ before I bought the H&K I would have gone for that as it cost half the price of mine.
When I had mine there was a shortage of ammo but now there is quite a selection available but rather expensive, so really the only downside is the cost of ammo as they cannot be reloaded - unfortunately.

Last edited:

long_range_rob

As a straight wall cartridge the WMR doesn't suffer from the ammunition issues that the HMR seems to have. I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy, the WMR is not just a LR on steroids.

Markfox

All the above is great news to here , regards ammo cost locally stocked v max is about £12-£13 for 50 which is plenty cheap enough to not worry about

i really can't understand why it is not a more popular Calibre it seems to tick all the boxes , hopefully it will increase in popularity as said above

Muir

I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy....
This has not been my experience. I have seven 22WMR weapons (6 rifles and one bolt action pistol) and they do not suffer from lack of cleaning. I can't even remember the last time i cleaned anything but the breech area/bolt. The most I ever cleaned my 22WMR rifle was when I was shooting ground squirrels in the desert and then it was a lightly oiled patch to remove dust, followed by a couple of dry patches. Otherwise I leave them alone.~Muir

bewsher500

As a straight wall cartridge the WMR doesn't suffer from the ammunition issues that the HMR seems to have. I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy, the WMR is not just a LR on steroids.

never cleaned mine more than a pull through after a wet day and a chamber/bolt brush every now and then to clear the residue
may have put a dry patch through it but not even sure of that

EMcC

I only cleaned mine when I couldn't get a cartridge in the chamber !!
No Not Really, but as has been said the cleaning regime is about the same as a normal .22 rf.
The chamber on mine tended to get a bit mucky depending on ammo used.
Some were copper washed, some were half copper jacketed and those left the chamber very clean but some were greased and it was only these greased ones that meant looking at the chamber at the end of the month just to keep it tidy ;)

Muir

Not in the US... or at least, they are as popular as ever but the ammunition is exceedingly expensive. I looked at some Philippine "Armscor" 22WMR the other day and it was $26/50. HMR -which if you listen to the 17HMR fans is a more complex cartridge to produce- is often around $10 US a box. Like 22LR, the ammo makers are not producing it in the quantities that allow shooters to buy it reasonably so a lot of good 22WMR's sit in cabinets instead of being carried afield. I can shoot .223 cheaper than 22WMR. With the exception of the very first year of HMR production when the ammo was absolutely match grade, my 22WMR's have always shot on par with the 17HMR, accuracy wise and certainly outstripped them for power down range.

The 22WMR shortages here do have one benefit. A friend of mine walked in to a gun shop and there was a CZ 512 autoloading 22WMR. He told the manager he was interested if he would throw in a couple of boxes of 22WMR. The manager said he couldn't. Well then, he asked, how about just give me a break on the cost of the ammo then? The manager then confessed they couldn't supply him with a single round of 22WMR. (Which my friend knew all the while) They knocked $80 off the price of the rifle.~Muir

A Guy Out West

I can't even remember the last time I saw .22 mag ammo on the shelf. I have 1 .22 mag and 3, .17 mags, other than a couple of cracked cases on the .17s a few years ago, I have not had any issues. All bolt actin rifles.

Last edited:

bewsher500

That's interesting to hear: I thought they had become unfashionable. Maybe that trend has reversed?
they were for a while definitely

the kicker for me is the trade
WMR ammo has rocketed in price over the last few years
that only means one of two things
guns are more popular or ammo is more scarce

certainly no shortage of ammo around

shame as it was very cheap to feed!

philip

I've debated a .22WMR for a long time , and now thought sell the .22LR and .22 Hornet and just have a .22WMR for occasional fox and rabbits

the only thing that bothers me is do .22WMR rifles blow up or lodge bullets in the barrel like the 17HMR etc seeing as it's a shared case between them

i just want to chamber round after round , shoot it and not worry in the slightest about any of the above issues

i would be using hornady v max which also doesn't help with the known above problems
I
thank you all
WMR. Is a. Super little rifle, 25 grn NTX SP £8.80 a box cheap as chips, really accurate out to a 100 yds with ease

never had any problem with ammo and I've shot thousands of WMR rounds. All good, had one problem with one batch sent em back, no further problem

phil

Sako75Hunter

WMR. Is a. Super little rifle, 25 grn NTX SP £8.80 a box cheap as chips, really accurate out to a 100 yds with ease
The only wmr ammo I've ever seen was 40 or 35gr. I use my wmr mainly for rabbits, and have to go for head shots or there's almost nothing left to eat.

So cheap 25 gr. ammo sounds very interesting: how is it on rabbits, would it allow body shots, as with .22 lr?

Last edited:

hybridfiat

My single shot 16" 22 wrm gets 2300fps (chronographed) and is good to 150m on a rabbit sized target. Makes a mess of the meat.

Last edited:

Steyer 6.5

Good thread this. I was considering a .17
as I'm getting rabbits further away and foxes on ground I can only walk and carrying two rifles is a ball ache. I discounted the .17 due to problems and wind. I considered .22 wmr but got no mates who have one. How is it with wind.