.243 ammo

adamevans45

this has probably been asked before, and I know thre will probably be plenty of people to say that a .243 is too small, but anyway...

shooting highland stags with a .243 what ammunition have people found best? I currently use federal powershok 100grain. and have shot muntjac- fallow perfectly fine with them, and ive no doubt theyl do the job on a red, but I just wondered if anyone had any preffered ammo and experience with it.

I wonder if a heavier grain would be better or maybe even a ballistic tip type ammunition.

I remember a friend of mine years ago using 95gr silvertips that used to hit fallows really hard.

any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

The fourth Horseman

Silver tips and ballistics work well but in Scotland 100 grain min.
Try Geco 105 gr some friends swear by them (if your rifle can handle them).
Personally and my choice only, I wouldn't usev a .243 on Reds, but that is my choice.

Dickie

I used RWS 100grn .243 on Red, Sika and Roe years back and they worked well shot placement is key as always and how alert the stag is when you take the shot does seem to matter if they run short or further.

Erik Hamburger

Interestingly in NZ the .243 W seems to be the standard round for deer, including Fallow and Reds, without any issues. However UK Fallow, Sika and Reds are apparently made of much sterner stuff, as there are many who feel the .243 W won't do the job, and some Estates won't allow anything below .270 My view is that good shot placement with a small bullet is always better than bad shot placement with a large bullet, but he, each to their own.

Olaf

Interestingly in NZ the .243 W seems to be the standard round for deer, including Fallow and Reds, without any issues. However UK Fallow, Sika and Reds are apparently made of much sterner stuff, as there are many who feel the .243 W won't do the job, and some Estates won't allow anything below .270 My view is that good shot placement with a small bullet is always better than bad shot placement with a large bullet, but he, each to their own.
Yes, very true, however, a good shot placement with a large bullet will always be better than a badly placed small bullet !
:rofl:
Cheers, O

Moray Outfitting

But there are bad placements with a large bullet as well. I have always thought that the idea of HAVING to use the estate 270 for red deer was unfair on the client ( who only fired half a dozen shots a year) and very unfair on the deer. How can we hold our heads above the parapit if what we are saying is that you know this client is going to flinch with the 270 (before the mods) so if it is off target a bit , then the big bullet is still going to wound it but it will drop somewhere quicker , because of the bigger bullet.
I have often turned to look at a client just about to squeeze the trigger on the " bigger rifle", to see them tensing up and quite often closing their eyes ready for the kick. Need I say more....J

DEER STALKER

I have used Federal 100 grain powershock in 243 for 20 years. Just recently I have changed to Sako Gamehead 100 grain and find I have less runners with the Gameheads as they just seem to kill better IMO. I wont be going back to Powershock in 243. Personally if I'm going for big reds now I take the 270 and use Federal 130 grain Powershock or Federal 130 grain Gameking. Best round I found for the reds was 30-06 Sako Superhammerhead 150 grain, It was bang flop with them! However, I have shot quite a few Reds with the 243. in the past.

adamevans45

I have used Federal 100 grain powershock in 243 for 20 years. Just recently I have changed to Sako Gamehead 100 grain and find I have less runners with the Gameheads as they just seem to kill better IMO. I wont be going back to Powershock in 243. Personally if I'm going for big reds now I take the 270 and use Federal 130 grain Powershock or Federal 130 grain Gameking. Best round I found for the reds was 30-06 Sako Superhammerhead 150 grain, It was bang flop with them! However, I have shot quite a few Reds with the 243. in the past.
Sako gameheads might be worth a look then :)

DEER STALKER

Forgot to mention RWS DK and KS in 30-06 150 grain also performed like the Super-hammerheads on big reds. So, the RWS in 243 might be worth a look but I’ve never tried them.