243 hornady 75g sst

Flash

It must be a 243 thing lol
My friend shoots 95gr sst in his 243 and has no issues with meat damage
He gets the odd bit but it all depends on shot placement and what the bullet strikes on the way through
Also i use 129gr sst in my 6.5x55 and get very little meat damage on roe

Layton

Ive asked the question on another thread about the best round for 243 to minimise meat damage. Ive found the 100g sako gameheads to be very accurate in my rifle with good stopping power, but the damage is high with much of the shoulder being destroyed and large exit wounds. I would have thought though that a lighter bullet and higher velocity would have caused greater damage? Is this just to be expected with 243 regardless of the round being used?

Jelen

They only sell the 75grain SST ammo in the UK but Hornady don't make a 75 grain SST bullet only the V-max. More of a marketing ploy for us I think.
Hmmm. yes I discovered that you can buy factory made 75gr SST cartridges. It's just that I read a review by Potts where he said he'd hand loaded some 75gr SST for a .243 he was reviewing. Thanks anyway.

jer

In my experience meat damage is as much about bullet placement and what bones the bullet encounters on entry and to properly compare one round against another you need to be hitting the same point of impact. Personally I use whatever is most accurate and if a shoulder is damaged that's fine, rather that than a not so accurate bullet in the spine that damages the best cuts. The 75 gn SST in my rifle is very accurate and flat shooting so I don't hesitate to use it.