243 in a 308?

bobt

Following on from the .17 thread.

A farmer mate keeps a 243 and 308, often mixing the bullets, he says the 243 fire ok in the 308 but none to accurate? the 308 wont chamber in the 243, he says he as done it accidently a few times now, :rolleyes:

I suggested he changes to just one rifle, or takes more care before he kills himself.

what does the panel think?

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Take his guns and ammo off of him and give him back just one with the right ammo. :D :D

Failing that you had better have a serious talk with him, I take it he does know that if he ever managed to chamber a 308 in a 243 something will have to give. The weakest link in the chain will go and that is the brass case, what happens after that well, the afore mentioned world of hurt is as good a place to start as any.

John

bobt

He also owns a 20 bore and 12 bore shotguns, but at least the 20 bores are usually yellow.

there is a plan? colour coded rifle cartridges? :lol:

irishgun

willie_gunn said:
Or use Nosler Ballistic Tips for one, and regular bullets for the other?

willie_gunn
my friend fired a 25.06 out of a .270 it took him a while to work out what happened also he killed the hind,i gave away all the left over 25.06 when i went back to the .270 .its easy to have a 25 in the pocket of a little worn coat

Trapper

Sako for 308 Feds for 243!
dont go on about home loading, 300wsm I think was sensible, But I have handmade holders from old staff leathers , initials and cal on front of each round holder. But the mark one eyeball ,and a check also comes into play.
Regards Trapper

Claret_Dabbler

Generally when "necked down" rounds are designed, they are usually made with the shoulder set back so the larger parent round won't chamber in the new rifle.

You can't get a 270win to chamber and close the bolt on either a 280rem or a 30/06.

stag1933

C_D.
That is incorrect, I know a guy who fired .270 ammo. in his .30-06 and scored 14 points in a 120 point competition.
He went home in shame before prize-giving !
Any-one who cannot identify the correct ammo. before loading his rifle is unfit to be in charge of ANY firearm.

HWH.

Claret_Dabbler

Stag, I don't doubt you could chamber and fire a 270win in a 30/06.

My point is that the smaller rounds are shouldered so that the larger round (particularly the 280 in the 270 scenario) cannot be fired in the smaller barrel.

As for stupidity - we can find that everywhere we look.

300wsm

The Head space for the 25-06, 270 Win, 6.5-06, 8mm-06, 338-06, 30-06, 35 Whelen are all the same meaning that any of the smaller ones will fit in the larger one. Far more dangerous is the mix up of a .308 in a 25-06 especially if it is a controlled feed action rather that a push feed.

The 280 has a different (Longer IIRC) headspace.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Perhaps a gentle suggestion that "rifles arn't for him" may be needed.

Wouldnt like to be next to the fellow on the range or stalking if he did manange to jam a 30 cal round into the 243 and pull the trigger.

I guess he cannot afford two cartridge case holders and a pen to write the calibres on either.....

Foolish if you ask me :eek:

Jagare

While a bit dum fireing a,243 in a .308 I don't see any possible way you would be able to chamber a .308 in .243. So no danger of injury. 20 bore in a 12 now that can cause a problem or two.

bobt

Redmist said:
Perhaps a gentle suggestion that "rifles arn't for him" may be needed.

Wouldnt like to be next to the fellow on the range or stalking if he did manange to jam a 30 cal round into the 243 and pull the trigger.

I guess he cannot afford two cartridge case holders and a pen to write the calibres on either.....

Foolish if you ask me :eek:
he is a "poor" farmer, he puts down 3-400 birds each year to invite his mates to come shoot them, and his Range rover needs changing now it has 20,000 miles on it.

he seriously has scared himself once or twice he says.

stone

Jagare said:
20 bore in a 12 now that can cause a problem or two.
that i can relate too
whilst rabbiting one evening i was driving and my boss was shooting
a rabbit was spotted on an embankment by me , the boss could not see it so gave me his AYA s/s
on this i pointed and pulled,
click
broke the barrel and said ' hav you a cartridge , as you gave me an empty gun'
on this he put in 2 more cartridges , again i aimed and pulled the trigger
the gun jumped out of my hands, my boss now screaming at me for dropping his gun , suddenly came to the same conclusion as myself
so on that we went drove home not a dickie bird said between us
this could of been much worse, lucky for us it wasn't
mistake made lesson learn't
but never repeated
this is also the reason i won't hav a 308 ,as i already hav a 243
shan't go down that road
just be carefull is all i a can say

243varmint

Just label all the boxes clearly
Colour code the boxes
Colour code the magazines
I clearly mark the boxes between the two different 243 rounds i have because Remington use the same colour boxes and the same colour ballistic tips.
ALLWAYS DOUBLE CHECK AND TRIPLE CHECK before you go out.
:confused: :confused:
Jonathon

stag1933

I have a Sako HB Varminter S/S. .243 and a Sako HB blued .308 which live in gun slips each of which has a large zipped pocket which contains the ammo. and magazine for that particular rifle.
The fact that one mag. is black and the other stainless also is convenient.

HWH.

stone

my uncle has a .243 and a .308 both are CZ's and the magazines are all the same colour and interchangeable so filling the mag first and then putting it in the wrong rifle
i think i don't need to say more
like a said earlier lessson learn't
just becarefull and be safe
unc learnt well that morning in question