243 Loads – Any Favourites?

PSE Composites Limited

sandersj89

Tonight I will be setting up my reloading gear for the first time with the help of a friend and plan to make up some batches for testing.

My friend is an experienced reloader but not of 243 so I am asking if anyone has a suggestion where to start with loads.

I will be using my own fireformed Federal brass with a Hornady 75grain a-max bullet being driven by Remington primers and Hodgdon H414 powder. (These will be vermin rounds, my rifle likes Fed100g Powershok for larger quarry).

Obviously we will be starting low but any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
ammoiwill

i agree fully with dave but i use a 75 grain v max hornady in a standard 243 and a ackley improved . results devastastion .

sandersj89

OK, made up 5 batches to test last night, starting with 42grain and working up to 46grain in 1grain intervals.

The process seemed fine and they look fine so I can make a complete round now, how they shoot will be a different matter and I hope I can test them at the weekend.

Jerry

Offroad Gary

sandersj89 said:
I hope I can test them at the weekend.

Jerry

you'll have to let that prohunter of yours cool down between groups so that you can get an accurate assesement!

have fun :lol:

does anyone want a wager on how far off the first one out is because of the big flinch? :evil:

Gary

sandersj89

bucksden said:
sandersj89 said:
I hope I can test them at the weekend.

Jerry

bucksden said:
[you'll have to let that prohunter of yours cool down between groups so that you can get an accurate assesement!

Yep, and the cool weather we are having will help a little on that front. Take a shot and then relax for a few mins before the next one. I have made up 4 rounds of each ammo for now and will have the whole day to play so no need to rush.

bucksden said:
[does anyone want a wager on how far off the first one out is because of the big flinch? :evil:

It will be lightest load first and eyes closed as I squeeze....... :lol:

sandersj89

jingzy said:
Make sure you check every case post firing for pressure signs. ;)

Funny enough that was going to be my next question........What exactly am I looking for?

I assume I am looking for the condition of the brass of the case, specific burn marks on the outside and condition of the primer face etc.

Jerry

marky123

Hello
I tried 42 gns h4895 behind 58 gn vmaxes last night while sighting in.The necks were smoked and the primers were fine,so I'll try 42.3 gns and earplugs.
MARK

pete evans

my rifle liked 100g fed powershock also likes 100g speer spbt with 33g h 4895. my vermin round is 70g nosler ballistic tip and 40g h4895. work up to these loads and check for excess pressure signs.

pete

jack

sandersj89 said:
jingzy said:
Make sure you check every case post firing for pressure signs. ;)

Funny enough that was going to be my next question........What exactly am I looking for?

I assume I am looking for the condition of the brass of the case, specific burn marks on the outside and condition of the primer face etc.

Jerry

Stiff bolt.

Also check primers for flattening

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!