.243 rifle scope

J0RD4N

whats people opinions for a good scope for a .243?
I like good clear optics, will be used for stalking and vermin.

nun_hunter

I've got a Vortex HST on mine, good at the lower range for most stalking but then up the mag and use the BDC reticle or turrets to dial in when shooting vermin or longer shots. Teamed with 85 grain game kings it's proving to be accurate and deadly .

sir-lamp-alot

ive got a 2.5 -10x50 ziess on mine which does me fine but then again so would any scope regaurdless of mag or make aslong as it has good build quality and optics, its going to be a very personal choice for yourself but if you buy the best you can afford and dont be worried about secondhand optics you wont go wrong personally tho if it were me and i was going to use it for small vermin i wouldnt go below a 10x mag

big ears

The old adage buy the glass and spend the change on the rifle is very true. Buy the best scope you can buy with the budget you have. Do not Scrimp on the quality. S&B, Swarovski, zeiss are all good makes and a second hand one always better than a new scope of lesser quality.
I personally am a S&B fan, a good 8x56 (or 50) will do all you need. I am sure more will come along with their favourite but stick to a fixed focus 56 from one of the big three names and you will not go wrong.

pasky

Schmidt and Bender 8x56? Covers all bases for day, dusk and night. A lot depends on your budget, if you go for a quality variable power/mag scope, expect to spend at least half as much again.

I have an S&B 8x56 for sale if you're interested?

Last edited:

bobby18

Just gone back to a s/b 8x56 mostly used for foxing,vermin a bit small at distance though,got a sightron up for sale if your interested.

brunel-999

whats people opinions for a good scope for a .243?
I like good clear optics, will be used for stalking and vermin.
If you can afford it, get a Swarovski Z6i Generation II, 2.5 - 15 x 56 mm objective lens with a ballistic turret. Fantastic scope.

Alternatively, I could sell you a Swarovski Z4i, 2.5 - 10 x 56 mm objective lens with a 4A 300-I illuminated reticle for a good price, hardly used. Great light gathering lens for shooting late in the evening and early in the morning. If you are interested send me a pm.

Good luck.

Chasey

Swaro 2.5 15 56 Aside from the inherent weight being a variable scope its the perfict scope for short range and long range shots

I have a BT on both my ones but I consider that optional for most shooting but nice to have for long range fox etc.

Both of my ones are Gen 1 but I dont have an issue with the IR switch having to be switched off before putting the rifel away and they do plastic caps to keep it off in the bag

Well worth the considerable SH cost savenig IMHO

J0RD4N

thanks for all the replys!
its a hawke vantage 4-12x40 AO that i have on my 17hmr and love it. i have a simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x50 aswell that was on the 17hmr aswell. both brilliant.

but thanks for the comments. i might find a good hawke scope i find them good.

big ears

A 243 is a very different rifle to a 17HMR. The recoil on a centrefire will knock the stuffing out of some of the cheaper scopes. The inherent dangers then of shooting a nonzeroed centrefire are much worse.
There are cheaper alternatives to the ones mentioned but do make sure that it is rated for centrefire rifles not rimfires.
Goud luck with your search.

BE

snake_2586

A mate of mine has the hawke endurance, 6-24x50, with the 223/308 ret, I have not shot with it at dusk and that is not what he uses it for but that has impressed me with quality, I know that ret is not for you but I think they do a couple of different ones.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

hybridfiat

The old adage buy the glass and spend the change on the rifle is very true. Buy the best scope you can buy with the budget you have. Do not Scrimp on the quality. S&B, Swarovski, zeiss are all good makes and a second hand one always better than a new scope of lesser quality.
I personally am a S&B fan, a good 8x56 (or 50) will do all you need. I am sure more will come along with their favourite but stick to a fixed focus 56 from one of the big three names and you will not go wrong.
Good advice :thumb: I like variables on a .243 but an 8x will work.

Glen of Imaal

To echo what Devon deer stalker said, I've had a schmidt and bender 6x42 for a similar amount of time, now on its second .243. Never felt I needed anything else.

flipflop

I bought an 8x50 Swaro from Woodlander on here and have never looked back. As nice as it is, my Z6 has become a bit of a 'hangar queen' since then. I wish I'd gone 'fixed' from the off as I've never snotted anything past 200 yds and don't think I ever will.

bobjs

I have Zeiss 4:5/14x44 or 50's on all my remaining rifles from my 243 to my 20 tac and my 6mm br,

the low mag of just 4 is great for light woodland work and the higher mag for shooting the br out to and well past 600 yards.as well as stalking plinking and foxing, the cost of these undermines their performance.

bob.

Last edited:

jdiver

Check out Meopta mate. The make great glass for the price. Very comparable and sometimes better than Swaro :)

sauer

You dont state budget in original post so a very wide open field of choice ... Give us a budget to narrow it down

But

I can verify what said above regarding meopta
Excellent glass , lifetime warranty & equivalent of big name glass , comparable & less cash so worth a serious look
Love mine ... I have a Meostar 3x12x56 Illuminated dot reticle & would be ideal for stalking & vermin

I believe Meostar is their higher end range .

Paul

J0RD4N

I like my hawke optic clear as anyting. the reticle you mention there is the same style as the one i have for my hmr with the yards on it. its very hand with that