243 Which one?

Cushty mush

Hi all
just sent off for my variation for a 243
i currently have a tikka 223 1.8 twist (what is very accurate with home loads)

I should get it has I was granted it 2 years ago under mentor conditions
but didn't have body on hand like I do now,land passed passed etc,

im just wondering what you gents would recommend, a good rifle out the box
not bothered about weight just want a good solid accurate rifle & and what's the best twist rate etc,

hope im I not counting chickens before they've hatched lol

dan71

Howa are very good for their money. I got mine from mike norris and he done a few little mods. Brock & norris use them for their custom jobs.

Yorric

If you like being rediculed buy the expensive (inevitable) "clatterbolt click" Blaser. They do shoot well though & for some strange reason they have a following.

Also expensive is the Sauer - very nice action (unless you get the model with a crappy aluminium receiver) - It also has issues tho' IMHO -- the 90 has a funny complex bolt, the 202 has a badly designed barrel swap arrangement i.e. a very tacky split clamp. The plastic 202 stock is not nice to the touch. The 101 is
their bottom line model with a glued or shrink fit barrel - but that is only of import in years to come if you want to rebarrel it. Again they all do shoot well.

Do take a look at a Mauser if you want to go expensive - they are nice solid rifles & come in take down models of all shapes & flavours. Thes shoot extremely well & are very much worth a look.

Mid price - Sako - a bit like an Audi - well made & finished - great rifles for the money. Lots of satisfied owners.

Also in this bracket is the Mannlicher - a bit out of favour these days - a big range to suit most applications & pockets - some pretty, some ugly - again has a shrink fit barrel. They shoot well & last ok.

Tikka - the Volkswagen rifle - just won't wear out as quick! - Basic good design & almost invariably shoot better than their owners. Not too pricey - good value.

Howa - well finished actions - good value.

Savage - A bit ugly & unrefined, but shoot well enough & are inexpensive.

Remington - Hmmmmm - Vauxhall Corsa? - Good enough basic rifle - pity about all the recalls! They all seem to need to be worked on to make them work right. - Loads of aftermarket bits to spend money on - a bit like a "Carlos Fandango car".

Weatherby, Howa & Ruger - cheap & cheerful - they seem to work.

Have fun deciding!!

Ian

takbok

Haven't had much experience with all the different makes but I love my tikka t3 stainless synthetic. The finish is top class and the action smoooth! Very accurate too

Yorric

Ok Tam -- Your Savage is a pretty one,:lol: it does handle very nicely with its thumbhole stock & shoots fine groups as you say!- It's just the barrel attachment nut that I was meaning as "ugly" - maybe I should have said "different". The rest of it is quite fine & very well proportioned. Anyone looking for something of this type could do a lot worse than to buy Tam's rifle - he has looked after it well & the price is right!

Ian

Muir

Ok Tam -- Your Savage is a pretty one,:lol: it does handle very nicely with its thumbhole stock & shoots fine groups as you say!- It's just the barrel attachment nut that I was meaning as "ugly" - maybe I should have said "different". The rest of it is quite fine & very well proportioned. Anyone looking for something of this type could do a lot worse than to buy Tam's rifle - he has looked after it well & the price is right!

Ian
The barrel attachment nut is one of the Savage's best features. Headspacing is accurately set by it's use at the factory. For guys alike me, changing barrels is a snap! I have a wrench for that nut and if I ever want my 30-06 Savage (a superbly accurate rifle) to be a 280 I can simply order a threaded and chambered barrel and a headspace gauge and have a 280 in 15 minutes. I know this doesn't work in the UK but it is really a nice design feature for those who can utilize it.~Muir

Yorric

Hi Muir - how do you set the headspace on the Savage? Shims?

Ian

edit - I just googled it & it is just a simple locknut to lock the barrel which is threaded without a flange face to lock up against --- Good engineering solution - Like it!

Last edited:

Cushty mush

Thanks for all the replies gents I did pick up sako when looking at a 223
i did like the feel of them,now that I've herd good feed back about them
I think il have a more in-depth look when eyeing up in my local (sportsman gun centre)