243 zeroing

Leica Amplus 6

Spanielmad

Just looking for some advice. Would zeroing an inch high at 100 be best? Or to improve things, what would it be at 50? Should say its a howa 1500 using federal 80gr soft points. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Akeld

What type of shooting do you do, theres good advice in a similar thread down the page regarding best zero for a .222

Spanielmad

Thanks, I seen the thread but didn't know if the 243 and 222 are similar trajectory or different? Just for sitting out for foxes and roe and lamping.

Akeld

1" high at 100 yards will be more or less dead on at 50 yards and again at 150-160 (BUT put up a target and confirm) This will give you a rifle that will basically be point and shoot out to 200 yards ish. Get yourself a 4" target and shoot at it from varying distances to get an idea what your kit does. If you have target turrets, zero at 100, do a drop chart and dial in every shot

Mauser243

As said above, I basically have my 243 set up at bang on @ 160 yards for my roe, and gives me a range of up to around 220 yards give or take for the fox, without to much hassle of ballistics programmes etc. ( I use a S&B 8x56 point and shoot) 85g BTHP works for me and has done for the last 25+years.

M

Uncle Buck

1" high a 100 yds. for me to, you'll not go wrong out to 200-20 mark.
provided you do your bit..!

Rgds, Buck.

ths84

Mine is set to roughly 1.5" high at 100m which is roughly an inch low at 25m (first zeroing done at this range), I would if you have the opportunity chrono your shots as it will help when working out the drop so you know your "rough" tolerances at the different ranges for when you go out and actually do the distances.

​But I love my .243!

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope