25 06

rover

Hi All, I have been asked to control the red's on my main fox permission.:cool: Problem is the biggest cal I have is m595 22-250 so I will be applying for a 25 06.
I was thinking of trading in 22-250 and going with one rifle, It means I can swap scopes rather than carry two rifles in car i.e. swarv 8x50 for deer/ drone pro 10 for Fox/vermin only. What do you think? is it the right cal for both jobs.:???:

thanks

Jim

speyloon

It's a cracker, my ex bro in law had it as his main hill/ vermin rifle. With lighter bullets it is spot on for foxes (like a 243 on steroids), and drops reds for fun wi heavier stuff!

jimmy milnes

My first deer call was 25/06, wasn't reloading back then but 117 sako factory dropped everything I pointed them at,
Regards
Jimmy

night stalker

I use 100 grain Nosler BT hunting for fox and roe deer its a cracking calibre.

With the situation you've described if reloading I'd go for 75 Vmax or 85 NBT varmint for fox and sierra 120 game Kings for the Reds job done.

Rick.

Monkey Spanker

It's a great all round calibre and ideal for reds, but I wouldn't bother swapping scopes or even bullet weights.
If it will kill a red, it will definitely kill a fox!!
I use 115 grain BT's (combined technology heads) going at about 2900 fps. A lighter bullet will of course shoot slightly flatter but the difference is marginal. Best to stick with one option and just get used to how it performs. I used to use Nosler 100g BT's but the meat damage was quite bad! Not a problem with the foxes, but not ideal on the deer.
MS

Sinistral

Hi All, I have been asked to control the red's on my main fox permission.:cool: Problem is the biggest cal I have is m595 22-250 so I will be applying for a 25 06.
I was thinking of trading in 22-250 and going with one rifle, It means I can swap scopes rather than carry two rifles in car i.e. swarv 8x50 for deer/ drone pro 10 for Fox/vermin only. What do you think? is it the right cal for both jobs.:???:

thanks

Jim
You heard it on here first, folks.

.25-06 is minimum for fox control if you're struggling with the limitations of a .22-250. :lol::-|

Claret_Dabbler

The 25/06 will obviously do the job required perfectly well.

But so will the 6.5x55 or the 260. Both will achieve the same velocity as the 25/06 with the same bullet weights.

I would pick one of the 6.5's.

Last edited:

JH83

Great cal....sweet shooting, low recoil, hits hard and very flat especially with reloads. Picked mine up a couple of years ago on a whim and it quickly became my go-to rifle. I use mine for foxing and it's a great round for the job, it comes into it's own on the clear fell for sika and red though. I think it's the most versatile round out there, probably at its limit on large, woodland rutting reds though due to light bullets.

Southern

I shoot a .257 Roberts in a full size rifle with 24-inch barrel, same make and model as a .270 and two .30-06s. I can load it up pretty well to match the ballistics of the .30-06 out to about 300 yards using the Hornady 117-gr Interlock, which is nice. Some friends of mine shoot .25-06, and one not super stoked up, but loaded for accuracy and its handling ( A-Bolt II Stalker). He likes the Nosler 120-gr Partition. I would try that, and the 115-gr BT, and the 110-gr Accubond. I think the 110-gr Accubond will be the next bullet I try on deer in my .257.

deeangeo

Great cal....sweet shooting, low recoil, hits hard and very flat especially with reloads. Picked mine up a couple of years ago on a whim and it quickly became my go-to rifle. I use mine for foxing and it's a great round for the job, it comes into it's own on the clear fell for sika and red though. I think it's the most versatile round out there, probably at its limit on large, woodland rutting reds though due to light bullets.
Nope, Sierra 100gn/Accubond 110gn bullets are perfectly at home dealing with these critters.
Used these on everything from CWD to big 300lb rutting stag over 11 years nae bother at all. ATB

rover

It's a great all round calibre and ideal for reds, but I wouldn't bother swapping scopes or even bullet weights.
If it will kill a red, it will definitely kill a fox!!
I use 115 grain BT's (combined technology heads) going at about 2900 fps. A lighter bullet will of course shoot slightly flatter but the difference is marginal. Best to stick with one option and just get used to how it performs. I used to use Nosler 100g BT's but the meat damage was quite bad! Not a problem with the foxes, but not ideal on the deer.
MS
Hi M.S
The reason I'll be swapping scopes is that dp 10 is a nv scope for fox vermin only, I'll home load for each, lighter for fox heavier for reds.

cheers

Jim

Last edited:

rover

You heard it on here first, folks.

.25-06 is minimum for fox control if you're struggling with the limitations of a .22-250. :lol::-|
Hi Sinistral, Nothing further from the truth, delighted with 22-250 had it for 12 years only going because I don't want two rifles, and 22-250 not big enough for reds.

rover

Hi All, Well bit the bullet, 22-250 tika 595 goes tomorrow. Decided to take it out one last time this afternoon, despite the horrendous weather. Sat in a large high seat. Hoping for a roe well no deer to be seen, but shot a nice vixen. I know I am going to regret this decision best rifle I have had.

Jim

sauer

Shame you only wanted one rifle ...
Always room in cabinet for .22-250
I have both ... .25-06 & .22-250 for 10yrs
Love both. .... My .22-250 has QR mounts as I use a drone pro on it .

I like the 100grn in .25-06
Loved factory , federal classics & premium
Reloading it loves the nosler partion ...
But best accuracy with 87grn Speer & 85grn nosler BT

Also tried privi partisan ... & for the cash it's cheap and works , not as accurate but still 1 1/2 " group

Reloading sub 1"
If I do my bit

Let us know how you get on but I love mine

Paul

Southern

I would keep the .22-250 and buy a 6.5x55 or .270 - doesn't have to be an expensive one. The .270 is very flexible in that it shoots a wide range of bullets well ( as does the .25-06), but it shoots heavier bullets (150s) which are proven medicine for big deer, red deer, elk, bears, and boar. The .270 and .25-06 have flat trajectories, like the .22-250, so there is that familiarity factor.