257 Roberts Factory Ammo

scrumbag, the .257 Roberts is a bit uncommon here, let alone over there in the UK, I suspect. Is yours a factory rifle, or a rebarrel job?

Mate of mine has a .257 he's now reloading but Hornady 117Grn SSTs were easily available. Best ammo he's put through it was old stock Winchester silvertip 100Grn from the early '70s !

Spotterdog

I load the 117-gr Hornady, SPT and RN. The Remington CoreLokt ammunition with the 117-gr RN is pretty mild, at 2,650 fps, but really shoots through game with complete mushroom and not much meat damage. Very accurate in my rifle, too. I know several people who hunt almost exclusively with their Rem 700 Mountain Rifles, and use the Hornady Light Magnum 117-gr SST ( now Superperformance) for shots out at 200 yards on deer, but handload light bullets for woodchucks and coyotes.

Hello folks,

Thanks for the advice. Having HPS load me some up: 117gr Sierra Game King Boat Tail Soft Point Spitzer being driven by Viht N150

Rifle:

Custom Job
Lothar Walther 24” barrel 1:10 Twist
FN Commercial donor action (was a 7x57)
Scope: Swaro Z4i 3-12x50

Hopefully be a shooter ;)

Scrummy

I should think with a specification like that it will be total rubbish!!! You will have to give it to me to save posting it to Muir. :D :stir:

David.

117gr Sierra Game King Boat Tail Soft Point Spitzer being driven by Viht N150
Let me know how that works out. I found a kilo bottle of N150 in the back of a gunstore being move and selling old stuff, for $20.00. My M700 Classic .257R has a 24-inch barrel, and will push 117s at 2,900 fps with 4831. I have not tried VV powders in it, but N-160 should do well. I think N-150 would do well with 100-gr Speer and 110-gr Accubond.

Back