.270 factory loads any suggestions

HS Tracker

Evening folks just a quick one. I shoot Winchester PowerPoint 130gr at the moment and always been reasonable round but think it might be time to try a newer load and see if it suits my rifle better. Any recommendations ??

ironmatt

When I'm not using home loads I am a very big fan of any blue box federal ammo. i have bought some of the blue box 130grn soft points for my .270 and I am confident they will shoot well :)

jonylandrover

Remington 130gr corelock. Excellent round and very accurate in my experience. Bullet retains weight very well from experience of recovering heads from deer iv shot. Had 1 go down to 97gr and that hit shoulder ribs then shoulder and was lodged under the skin on the opposite side. This was a roe doe at 220yds.

Gaz

Norma SP 130g have been a great factory round for me over the years. They are not the cheapest by any means but suit my old browning so happy to pay a bit extra for something that works. These have accounted for all sizes of deer from munty to big Reds and the hardy Sika.

bewsher500

No longer buy factory
but 25 years of shooting norma 130gr SP
tried Winchester, federal. Remington, rws and always came back to 130gr Norma

not a fan of SST's in any calibre to be honest,
as the .270 is already north of 3000fps I am not sure it is a cartridge that requires the "Superformance" treatment.
sounds like a recipe for on site soup

Woodsmoke

I'll be looking to slow mine down to around 2700fps once my reloading kit finally gets here (zero points to Sportsmanguncentre on this one................ordered 23rd December and STILL not here) A friend loaded me some rounds last year at around this speed with 130gr bullets & it was very sweet. I hope to replicate that load :thumb:

Mungo

as the .270 is already north of 3000fps I am not sure it is a cartridge that requires the "Superformance" treatment.
sounds like a recipe for on site soup
I wondered about that - but Hornady's cited data for the 140gr round seems to indicate that the Superformance version makes it ballistically equivalent to a 7X64, which many speak very highly of.

unicorn71

Tried the 140 gr Superformance a couple of weeks ago , they shot ok -around 1.2" at 100 meters , the Norma 130grwent into less than .5" which will do till I start reloading.

bewsher500

I wondered about that - but Hornady's cited data for the 140gr round seems to indicate that the Superformance version makes it ballistically equivalent to a 7X64, which many speak very highly of.
from their page it is basically doing exactly what a 130gr factory load does normally (3100fps 1", 0", 6") but with 10gr more

the ballistics look good. its the bullet choice that concerns me.
it was designed to allow reliable expansion for 300-400yd impact velocities.
Not the 50-100yd we normally see

the 7x64 comparison is their GMX solid bullet. much better choice IMO

Never felt the need for more than 130gr on even the biggest stags to be honest...unless the situation calls for a 300WM of course! :D

Not a great fan of the winchester power points . Tend to favour rws t-mantle 130grn , this seems to shoot well in most rifles . Others to consider are norma 130s and federal vital shok (their premium round) . It is worth remembering that even though a box of bullets might be £10 more than a cheaper brand (only 50p a go more) it is worth it if they suit your rifle . £2odd is not a big outlay for a bullet when you consider the cost of your stalking , fuel etc .

Last edited:

Southern

I have shot the older 140-gr BTSP Light Magnum in my full-size .270 Mauser, and got over 3,000 fps with very good accuracy, but handloads will do as well.

The bullet Hornady should load in the .280 Remington and 7x64 are the 154-gr as a Superperformance. They do load the 162-gr SST in the 7x64. These are the real weights you need to compare. But again, like the sleek 140s in the .270, they are made for reaching out and touching big mule deer, antelope and sheep at 400 yards, or 300 in a crosswind.

The not-so-fast Remington CoreLokt 150-gr, SPT and RN ammunition is very good. The Hornady 150-gr Interlock in a .270 Win loaded to 2,900 fps or so will kill anything walking the UK, and it shoots very well. And they are not expensive. I don't know if Hornady still sells the ammo.