2nd Spot check in 9 month

Dougie-uk

Lancashire Police on 2nd spot check within 9 month, last came round 27-07-16 and turned up today 18-4-17 two armed response officers this time with fully marked up car outside, not inconspicuous at all!!!! :rolleyes:

palmer_mike

Lancashire Police on 2nd spot check within 9 month, last came round 27-07-16 and turned up today 18-4-17 two armed response officers this time with fully marked up car outside, not inconspicuous at all!!!! :rolleyes:
Acting on intelligence?
if not I sure as sh*t wouldn't be letting them in!

Dougie-uk

It would appear they're doing the rounds again, few at my local clubs have been visited in the past week or so, some on second visit as well. Nowt to hide personally, but hey let's be more conspicuous about it.
Dont want this to become the old argument on whether to let them in or not!!

palmer_mike

if you have no problem with police performing 'spot checks' then why start a thread about it?

My FEO is welcome to call me and arrange to visit at a mutually convenient time, he's a nice chap and i enjoy our chats!

If the 'boys in blue' turn up on my doorstep unannounced then they won't be crossing the threshold unless they have a valid legal reason to be able to.

Whitebeard

Did they ask to see your security? did you ask them under what authority they want to check your security, and if they were acting on intelligence? did you ask what that intelligence was? did they also request to have a look at your guns? did you show them? You say you have nothing to hide, nor do i mate but i value my privacy and will not put up with unannounced intrusions into it, which we all know are nothing to do with any received intelligence.

Ian.

Dougie-uk

Did they ask to see your security? did you ask them under what authority they want to check your security, and if they were acting on intelligence? did you ask what that intelligence was? did they also request to have a look at your guns? did you show them? You say you have nothing to hide, nor do i mate but i value my privacy and will not put up with unannounced intrusions into it, which we all know are nothing to do with any received intelligence.

Ian.
Gathering info from my experience and others the police line is.....that people are being followed home from ranges and having their firearms stolen,so they need to check security.....no they did not check my firearms, nor did I volunteer to show them.

Edinburgh Rifles

Gathering info from my experience and others the police line is.....that people are being followed home from ranges and having their firearms stolen,so they need to check security.....no they did not check my firearms, nor did I volunteer to show them.
So lets highlight the fact by parking a jam sandwich outside and coming togged up in ARU kit......

sorry. does no-one any favours and they are gathering nothing except resentment by doing it
twice in a year without good reason is verging on harrasment

Bandit Country

the police line is...that people are being followed home from ranges and having their firearms stolen,so they need to check security...
I'm not sure how 'checking security' is going to help? If a couple of handy lads in balaclavas, with baseball bats, invite me to hand over my guns as I'm exiting the car at home, guess what I'm going to do? I'd be more reassured if I clocked an unmarked ARV outside my local range running likely VRNs through their ANPR. A far more effective use of scarce police resources?

nun_hunter

That's pretty heavy handed, by the sound of it!

Did they ever explain why they did it that way?
It's not happened in Sussex yet but there are talks about it. Mainly because the commanders up top want the armed officers to be doing more so are finding pointless and inappropriate tasks for them to do in order to justify their existence. Apparently training for firearms incidents isn't something that is viewed as essential by them. Apparently they don't want us over trained because adequate is good enough!

kes

Whilst we usually are the most accommodating and law abiding people, since Andy Marsh suggested we are an unwilling supplier of arms to terrorists, we seem to be facing an increased regimen of checking security.
The police have a right of access, if you have committed a crime or can be considered to be a danger to either ourselves or other people, i.e. acting on intelligence received.

Other than that which they MUST disclose upon asking for access, they have no right of entry without a search warrant.
A lawfully held firearms owner is entitled to ask why and if not one of the foregoing, is entitled to explain why its inconvenient and tell them to come back at a mutually convenient time and date.
I feel it is essential our rights as people and firearms holders are not infringed and would therefore request they return when they have agreed a time with me.
I would not interfere with the lawful conduct of a police officer in pursuit of his duty.
I therefore dont expect to be unreasonably interfered with in either my life or my sport, I am law abiding.
I also believe strongly that if we allow these freedoms and rights to be infringed, it will become the norm.

Just my view.

nun_hunter

Personally if they came to my house I'd let them in for a chat and a cuppa (if they wanted) and remember that they probably don't want to be there doing the checks as much as I'd rather they weren't there and that they're humans at the end of the day. After they'd gone I'd email the FLD manager and ARV inspector and say what a waste of time and resources I thought it was and pretty much inappropriate to be sending a marked and armed unit to check these things.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
To my knowledge we have not had any such visits in Kent.

With police resources stretched to the limit in many constabularies I would have thought that this exercise was a waste of police time. It is to my knowledge the job of the FEO to visit firearms owners and establish that their firearms are kept correctly.
However I think we have some constabularies that this is now carried out by serving police officers instead of an FEO, in which case this should have been carried out on renewal of the firearms licence.

Turning up on spec twice does seem rather odd, and one wonders what they hope to achieve. I would in principle have no issue with letting them in the first time, but further to this would want to know on what basis they have been asked to pay a visit a second time. It does seem to me to be rather a waste of valuable police time, plus the fact they have sent round an ARV is a bit over the top and pointless.

Pedro

Looking a bit laterally at this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the police armed response officers in Lancashire have, as part of their duties been instructed to do some security checks by some senior officer. Something to tick on the war on terrorism to show what they are doing. I should think they will have a set number to do in a month. So, I bet that those officers thought "that Dougie in Darwen was okay last time, no hassle. We'll do him again and make the figures up for the boss."

Dougie-uk

Looking a bit laterally at this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the police armed response officers in Lancashire have, as part of their duties been instructed to do some security checks by some senior officer. Something to tick on the war on terrorism to show what they are doing. I should think they will have a set number to do in a month. So, I bet that those officers thought "that Dougie in Darwen was okay last time, no hassle. We'll do him again and make the figures up for the boss."
if they're ticking a box on the war on terrorism they should be checking cars, as that now seems to be the weapon of choice