• Personal items can be advertised for free. Click here to advertise business/trade items or services.
    • Please fill in an approximate Location in your profile so buyers know where the item is located.
    • You need 30 posts and registered for 30 days before you can post ads in classifieds.
    • Specify a price. No auction style adverts, adverts 'for a friend' or unhelpful heckling posts please.
    • Click here to read the full Rules.

Wanted: 3 Rifles

My new FAC should be printed on Monday they tell me so at last I'll be able to spend a little money. Just a little mind you, but it seems you can get quite a lot for £300. I'd like not to have to travel too far from Cambridge and the interesting rifles seem to always be the other side of the country.

I'll only buy one CF rifle to start with but since my main quarry will be munties it could fill any of the slots I am expecting.

So here's my shopping list:
.22 Centre Fire

The perfect rifle would be screw cut and hopefully come with glass and mod, but these can be sorted one way or another. A developed load would be nice and either evidence of accuracy or a try-out. On the other hand I'm up for a project so if it looks rough that's OK and if reflected by a give away price even a benefit. A re-barrel on the other hand would not be economic.

Anything out there?

Cheers and have a super Christmas,

GH

PKL

GH,

I have a mauser 98 based .243 that's for sale, I have glass bedded it and it has a clean bore. It shots like an absolute dream. It's not a pretty rifle but has a well shaped stock for prone, sitting, standing. I can stick a 4x redfield wideview on it in warne mounts if you'd like as I'm not selling the current scope on it. Could zero it with that scope and show you groups if it went that far.

it cloverleafs 85g partitions with 35.5g varget, but also just about cloverleafs both 100g norma sp's and 100g federal sp's as well as 85g hornady bthp's. also likes 87g hornady bthp with 35g varget.

I can screw cut it and sell you an almost new atec maxim mod if you'd like. it's currently not threaded though.

stock and barelled action could do with a re-finish and re-blue, but personally I wouldn't bother. I could do both for you at a price if wanted of course.

'as is' with the redfield scope, I'd look for around £450. Threaded and with the mod, add another £225. Re-finished stock and re-blued, add another £250.

I also have a leupold 4-12x40 vx 1 I use on my .308, it would be fitted instead of the redfield at an increase of £150, so £600 instead of £450 (without thread and mod of course)

I wouldn't see a re-barreling being needed on this for many years, or any other work for that matter.

Muntiacus

I stopped in at the Country Store in Sawston on Christmas Eve, David's got a nice selection of second hand rifles to suit all budgets.

basil

Distinguished Member
My new FAC should be printed on Monday they tell me so at last I'll be able to spend a little money. Just a little mind you, but it seems you can get quite a lot for £300. I'd like not to have to travel too far from Cambridge and the interesting rifles seem to always be the other side of the country.

I'll only buy one CF rifle to start with but since my main quarry will be munties it could fill any of the slots I am expecting.

So here's my shopping list:
.22 Centre Fire

The perfect rifle would be screw cut and hopefully come with glass and mod, but these can be sorted one way or another. A developed load would be nice and either evidence of accuracy or a try-out. On the other hand I'm up for a project so if it looks rough that's OK and if reflected by a give away price even a benefit. A re-barrel on the other hand would not be economic.

Anything out there?

Cheers and have a super Christmas,

GH
£300 will start you off on a decent ish scope .. as for the other couple of thousand £`s. :coat:

Northwest

the brno fox .222 advertised on here looks like it might fit the bill. I have no connection to the sale.
I am nobody on here but I do think the above comment is very valid. If nothing else, you will have a chance at a double set trigger and then you willl know if you love them or hate them. I have one of these rifles and unlikely to part with it anytime soon.

As for three hundred pound scopes. Well, it is very nice swanning around with Swarovski or S&B plastered across your optics but I have found £50 Hawke work just fine. No, not out to a thousand yards I agree, but work they do. The Fox seems not to care much as he won't see the writing from where he is.

Yorric

It looks like that nice BSA CF2 with a Pecar scope on it is still there in the classifieds - Price is right - just not screwcut or a mod but that is easily remidied - a great place to start.

Ian

p.s. - Nowt to do with me - just a good deal on a sound package with no frills.

topscots1

Locality is a rarity transfers are the easy option on this site without burning out your mileage I have bought several rifles that way and it is always still a saving on dealers prices i 300 pound rifle in a shop would cost you 200 on here.

All businesses need need to make a profit
have you had a look on gunstar e.t.c

Last edited:

srvet

Hay MS,
The Remmington 710 is no longer on Gun Trader and Simposons were closed yesterday. I'll follow that up next week.
Cheers All,
Halam
rem 710 were built to a very low price. Personally I would look for something else, possibly a bit older like the CF2 or like the 308 CZ 550 on guntrader in Cornwall for 295

Last edited:
Very interested, got my FAC yesterday and was going to stop at The Country Store on the way home to look at the £140 243 Savage they have. Tell me more about the Ruger please.
GH

Eyefor

Hi Halam,
did you get sorted ,if not I will be selling my .308 Ruger .£250.
Only down the road at Ipswich.
Cheers Steve
Very interested, got my FAC yesterday and was going to stop at The Country Store on the way home to look at the £140 243 Savage they have. Tell me more about the Ruger please.
GH
Just to let you know that I have dealt with Steve on a Firearm and several bits of kit and he is a very good guy to deal with. No direct connection with him (nor am I on commission!) but just a "heads up" based on my experiences.

Also Rugers are reliable workhorses. Used for shooting and then knocking in fenceposts in the US. I'm sure Steve would let you try before you buy and you get a lot more options with a .308 than you do a .243?

dom8328

Stutley gun over near Royston/Bassingbourn are normally pretty reasonable and are are a great help when buying, plenty of s/h stuff and brand new. Great people in there. Also the Country store in Sawston are pretty good too, very friendly and good advice.

Dom

gixer1

You can easily get a rifle package for the £300 you mention so don't worry too much about the comments made, there are about 35 listed on www.guntrader.com alone in the 243 and 308 search that are sub £300, they won't be high end obviously but would be adequete for stalking duties any day of the week.

I cant see why people bother commenting if they have nothing helpful to say - especially when you have much more chance of finding a £300 rifle package than they ever do expecting to sell a 5k shotgun without as much as a picture posted....:rolleyes:

I picked up a very nice Tikka in 30-06 a few years ago for not that much more than you are looking to spend and it had a JMS Arms stainless moderator on it which very nearly covered the cost of the rifle alone - seek and you shall find.

Regards,

Gixer

topscots1

I have managed to get through 8 or 9 rifles and scopes in the last couple of years trying to get the combination I like. I now have a Tikka T3 and a burris four x scope all bought second hand. For around 800 with an Atec moderator. I have shot deer with rifles worth a lot
ess and a lot more as long as the Rifle and scope out a Bullet where you want it to go you will have somewhere to start.
Buy the best that you can afford remember if your on a budget it's not about the cosmetics if a Rifle looks to good to be true it propably is