30-06 advise

PAULT

Just purchased a 30-06 I reload all my own ammo so any loads using vihtavuori powders and what primers large rifle or magnum primers thanks in advance.

Uncle Norm

Tried and tested load for my Sako 85 with 20'' barrel. 61 grains Viht N160, Speer 165 grain bullet, CCI standard primers, 2,800 fps chronographed.
Powerful round that is very effective on Fallow and Red. I have used it for several years.

Axe

Nosler Accubond 165gr are a good choice if you can source them, cant help you with powders because I use nothing but Hodgon

Preferences

243varmint

Not the right powder but I'm using 150gr Speer mag tips under 55gr of H380. 2830fps over the chrony. This is through a T3 lite.

​Jonathon

Jimbo 30 06

52grn Vhit N140 powder, Sierra Gameking or ProHunter 150grn bullets and Ferderal large rifle primers in my Tika T3 Hunter 30-06 one hole group no problem.

Jimbo

Last edited:

brock and norris

Was going to use gr sst but open to suggestions want them fir deer and boar.

Hi PAULT , I hope this will assist as we normaly use Vit 150 as our go to powder for accuracy loads in the 30.06.
1. Lapua case/ hornady 150grn SP / 53.5 grains N150 / CCI 200 LR
2. Lapua case / Hornady 165 grn GMX / 53 grains N150 / CCI 200 LR
3. Lapua case /hornady 165 grn interbond /52.5 grn N150 / CCI 200 LR
all three loads were giving excellent accuracy in the rifles for which they were developed and the terminal performance on game animals terminal .as with any load start 10% below and work up gradually
yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles
as a foot note would highly recommend the GMX or interbond on boar rather than the SST. You may find it too fragile to penetrate fully the gristle shoulder plate on a big boar. The GMX Bullets in particular are fantastic . Being a monolithic guilding metal bullet they will not break up or shed their jackets yet they will expand on small deer and antelope with very little carcass damge.
ATB Mike N

Last edited:

jonathanj

CCI200 LR primer. 53.5 grains N150. 150grain Sierra Prohunter gives me very good accuracy. I don't know how important this is but this load gives good case fill & the Prohunter is flat based so gives more case contact if you need to seat long. Have tried CCI BR primers but never had a really conclusive result between them & the standard LR.

Jonathan

CWMMAN3738

Brock & Norris make a good point Paul don't skimp on head quality espically on boar(espically mine) as you want to stop them dead and they are tough as old boots compared to deer so good heads are essential, didn't slowness have nostler partition 30cal heads there?

PAULT

Hi PAULT , I hope this will assist as we normaly use Vit 150 as our go to powder for accuracy loads in the 30.06.
1. Lapua case/ hornady 150grn SP / 53.5 grains N150 / CCI 200 LR
2. Lapua case / Hornady 165 grn GMX / 53 grains N150 / CCI 200 LR
3. Lapua case /hornady 165 grn interbond /52.5 grn N150 / CCI 200 LR
all three loads were giving excellent accuracy in the rifles for which they were developed and the terminal performance on game animals terminal .as with any load start 10% below and work up gradually
yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles
as a foot note would highly recommend the GMX or interbond on boar rather than the SST. You may find it too fragile to penetrate fully the gristle shoulder plate on a big boar. The GMX Bullets in particular are fantastic . Being a monolithic guilding metal bullet they will not break up or shed their jackets yet they will expand on small deer and antelope with very little carcass damge.
ATB Mike N
thanks very much just the info I need take some to the midland always pick my bullets up off you so problem solved cheers atb PaulPaul