30-06 brass

Greener Jim

Looking at 30-06 brass to turn in to 338-06. Now obviously Lapua is supposed to be more consistent and better overall than stuff like Prvi. However, does it really make a difference for hunting under 150 yards?
I will happily buy Lapua if I'll see a difference but if the difference is only something that I would notice at longer range then there is zero point.

So what say you?

mchughcb

Find the nearest bin. Place your privi in there and then use Lapua, norma or better still RWS and your cases will live long and prosper.

Greener Jim

So I'll get more life out of the higher end stuff. Happy days. However, how much more? Is it a case that I'll get 2 loads from Prvi and 10 from Lapua or that I'll get 4 from Prvi and 5 from Lapua?

Its likely that I'll get the Lapua brass but obviously they're more expensive so I want to be reassured as to why I'm spending the extra.

Dorsettaff

Jim,

The quality of privi can be a bit "variable" (in as much as neck thickness, case weight) but if you find a good batch then they do last. I'm reloading 6.5 x 55 and on the 5-6 loadings with privi with no major issues. Ive annealed them a couple of times but they are still going strong! (Famous last words!!!)

DT

Gandy

I reload privi in my 30-06 and its of good quality, not lapua quality but, I would say suitable for under 150 yards shooting.

Highlandsjohn

Find the nearest bin. Place your privi in there and then use Lapua, norma or better still RWS and your cases will live long and prosper.
What absolute rubbish you speak. Not everyone has bad results with Privi. Lets have a poll :D

Also, I have 60 factory Remington 243 given me with a rifle I bought on here, no way would I have bought them. I am still

hand loading that brass after six or seven reloads. If you are goosing your brass you are probably loading it HOT and that

is the price you pay..

As I said on another post,I had been using ONLY Norma brass for fifteen years and more with excellent results but I've had

second thoughts after my experience with Remington ' so called cheap brass' and now Privi ..

Southern

If you can get some 35 Whelen brass, I think you will find it works better than necking up.
Hornady sells 338-06 brass.
Norma makes the brass for Weatherby, and you can get it from Graf & Sons or Midway, both of which have operations in Europe and the UK ( I get bullets and ammunition made for the European market through http://www.graf.com here in the USA.

sikadog

Jim I have been necking up Sellior Belliot 30-06 cases for when my 338-06 comes back from proof, and they look to be very good, most 30-06 cases neck up to 338 ok.

As I am about to have both, I will have a constant supply, my 30-06 came with 200 fired cases when I purchased it and I bought 50 Norma 338-06 cases of SPUD.

At the moment my 6.5-284 keeps splitting Lapua cases after 4 loadings but the Hornady cases have done 6-7 reloads

Uncle f

I will have some once fired RWS .30.06 brass available next week once I return from boar shooting in Portugal where I am at present
I will put it on the classifieds
regards steve

bewsher500

I find Lapua much harder than some brands
whilst not au fait with necking up I would say you want a softer brand or get busy annealling on the gas hob

I personally use norma for this and many other reasons
10+x firings on my .270 without a single failure to date

and the only norma brass I have annealed was .222

Greener Jim

Useful info mate thanks. Where do you get your Norma brass? I looked last night and couldn't find any in 30-06 even at Spud's.

Greener Jim

Yeah I'll call him. His site doesn't list 30-06 Norma, or 308 for that matter, which is odd considering how popular they are.

swatty

Yes mostly once fired odd un twice all deprimed and cleaned there's a few federal 40 odd I'll throw in I'll double check what's what if your interested

Muir

I shoot PRVI brass and have had no problems with it in 222,223, 243, 6.5x55, 7x57. 7-08, 7.62x39, 308, or 30-06. That Lapua is a better finished brass is indisputable, but for necking up to a hunting cartridge -especially when learning the ropes of headspacing a cartridge that has very little shoulder to begin with- the PRVI brass will work just fine. Especially in the learning phase of the reforming process. I mean, which would you rather ruin?? Lapua or PRVI??~Muir

Roncon1

I also have 50 or 60 cases of 30-06 you can have (I don't reload) 20 Sako and 40 or so Privi. All once fired and yours for the price of postage.