30-06 gun building

30-06

Hi all

Need some advise on which gun to buy. I have a budget of 2500 -2700 pounds for the gun, scope and mod. Could you help in building me one. Very keen on the zeiss duralyte 3-12x50 illuminated. Other than this i am not sure which rifle or mod. Confused between the sako, tikka, mannlicher and saur. Would have loved the mo3 however it's out of my budget. Looking for a wood blue finish.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

hoshang.

User00003

get a smith to source a mauser 98 action (german, fn, peruvian 1909 or argentine 1909, or chilean 1912). install a good timney trigger. install a 3 position horizontal safety. get him to build you a nice walnut stock with ebony tip and grip cap, get a custom sporter barrel installed. get a fold down hood front sight and 2 leaf express rear sight. buy new bottom metal with a hinged floorplate. get it all rust blued.

oh, consider clawmounts, if the action is not drilled and tapped on the front receiver, use a clawmount barrel saddle and a rail mounted scope...

...or, go the easy route and buy a sako 85 in 30-06 with a 6x42 zeiss or S&B (which is all you'll need) using optilock mounts

branko

If your stalking and walking get yourself a sako finlight with best optics you can afford. My most expensive and by far the best are the zeiss ht range. You should try swaros as well everybodys eyes are different so they might be good for you.the mod would be an alluminium atec modular type from jackson rifles again very light. Mounts optilock
if this is over your budget go for the tikka with above combo.

User00001

Nice to see someone with a realistic budget for a nice setup. My advice is go Sako 75 (good secondhand), optilock mounts, ASE Northstar or Hardy moderator then blow the rest of your budget on a ex demo or secondhand Swarovski Z6i 3-18, 2.5-15 or 5-30. Don't compromise on the optics by getting the bottom end Zeiss.

Brithunter

My advice is as always handle the rifle and then handle some others and pick the one that feels most comfortable to YOU.

If at all possible try to shoot the rifle that your interested in and again go with what feels best to you. Forget brand loyalty the rifle must fit you for you to get the most out of it.

User00026

remember,,whilts sako are great,,there are lemons between them too! like BH said, handle and test shoot before parting dosh!

gixer1

For a brand new package (which is always nice!)

A Tikka T3 in 30-06 will be around £750
A ziess duralyt will be around £1,000
A nice A-Tec mod will be around - £200
Mounts say £100
a sling £20
and some rounds £30
so £2,100 with some change for other things...

or you go up a notch and buy a Sauer 101 at £1,500 and the package costs £2,850

I can say having the T3 in 30-06 - it is a nice rifle but it is not quite up to the sauer.

Regards,

Gixer

Last edited:

Jager SA

Hi all

Need some advise on which gun to buy. I have a budget of 2500 -2700 pounds for the gun, scope and mod. Could you help in building me one. Very keen on the zeiss duralyte 3-12x50 illuminated. Other than this i am not sure which rifle or mod. Confused between the sako, tikka, mannlicher and saur. Would have loved the mo3 however it's out of my budget. Looking for a wood blue finish.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

hoshang.

Have a semi custom rifle built, get what you want in doing so.

30-06

Thank you all for your suggestions

After a lot of consideration I have gone with the sako85 + duralyt 3-12x50 IR + atec CMM4.

​ Now is the part of the ammunition. From previous experience I know that each gun would have a liking to some kind of ammo.

Any suggestions as to what ammunition would suit the 85.

Thanks

Mick9abf

​My Sako 75 finnlight in 30-06 shoots RWS 150 grain in sub 1" (read cloverleaf) groups. I got RWS because that's what the shop had when I was needing and that is plenty accurate for me. I found it opened up slightly with the 165 grain stuff but was still under 1.25" (will confirm weights when I'm home if you want). Buy a box at a time till your happy with whatever. Either that or reload if you shoot enough to make it worthwhile.

Personally I would look around at different scopes. I almost got a Duralyt but thought for the same money or a little bit more you could get a new or second hand one that doesn't seem so cheaply finished - plastic or plastic looking turret caps and rotation switch which kind of ruins it. That's just my opinion and others will no doubt cry 'rubbish' but make sure your going to be happy - it's your money/choice but buy once and all that.

branko

If you have the time and inclination roll your own. Select your bullet weight and type based on the game your hunting. For example boar, use 180 gr quality parition bullet, this type being tough and able to smash through shoulder bone due to excellent weight retention and controlled expansion.

jonathanj

There is a Rem 700 SPS Stainless with 20 rounds through it on Guntrader. It is £1695 is screw cut & comes with a Schmidt 3-12x50 & Harris bipod. Choose yourself a Macmillan or Robertson stock that fits you from Jackson Rifles together with a Jewell trigger. Should leave enough change for a mod & some ammo. I went a similar route and have a stalking weight 30-06 which shoots sub MOA 5 shot groups is comfortable to shoot & I'm confident in that first cold barrel shot.
It's not a Sako but ..........

woodmaster

I put together a brand new Sauer 202 in .308w (synthetic stock), leupold QD mounts and bases, second hand but never fitted duralyt 3-12x50 ill, atec mod, niggeloh back pack sling (2nd hand again but like new) for £2900 or there about. I would love a Z6i but that will have to come later and most likely 2nd hand, but I favor buying used stuff that's in good nick and top quality rather than poor made stuff that's new. Enjoy your new rifle but do have a look at Sauer.

jonny.c

Sako all the way I can I can get one hole groups 100yards with some 110gr v-max and 165gr sst
buy a second hand gun get the barrel bore scooped if good get a re-crown and get it bedded simple and will be just as good with a nice home load happy days

Brithunter

It'll be worth every hours wait ;)

The reason your waiting is two fold:-

1) the importers wait until they have a minimum number of rifles to order.

2) the 06 is still very popular in the US so most of their production head across the pond.