30-06

The Lucky Hunter

YoungGun

Gents,

The one on the left was an insurance shot at about 2 yards in heavy cover. It was down, but raised its head as we walked towards it. The thing had already charged us so I didn't want to riSk it. We found that the first one had already done thE job when we open it up, but better safe than sorry.

I used them on everything from kudu to bushpig, these were just the only two recovered.

Mike

pip

Gents,

The one on the left was an insurance shot at about 2 yards in heavy cover. It was down, but raised its head as we walked towards it. The thing had already charged us so I didn't want to riSk it. We found that the first one had already done thE job when we open it up, but better safe than sorry.

I used them on everything from kudu to bushpig, these were just the only two recovered.

Mike
Can't fault that.

pheasant sniper 1

Gents,

Mike

Same thing with my Eland..

First shot was on the money but when it stopped i hit it again..

Fair play to you

Terry

deerpath

220 gr Barnes XXX will do most things certainly all plains game are fine with 180gr. I take 150 gr for longer shots 3 -400m. And 30.06 is easily obtained here or over there

Sadly i didn't get a chance of my Elk last year but i was advised if you get a chance with the 30-06 (or any calibre for that matter) stick another one in it if you can.
I couldn't get the 165grain Nosler Partitions to work in my 30-06 so made up some Sierra Gamekings which were fine.
I might experiment with the Barnes though.
Cheers
Richard

Ghostrifle

Hi Richard

Nothing wrong with the calibre of that rifle of yours, that was the one thing I liked. :stir: Have just ordered a barrel in 30.06 for the Sauer.

Bos en Dal Safaris

30-06 is one of the famous calibles in South Africa, put a 180gr barnes pill in the barrel and all plains game should be on the look out.

Cheers

tusker

Sadly i didn't get a chance of my Elk last year but i was advised if you get a chance with the 30-06 (or any calibre for that matter) stick another one in it if you can.
I couldn't get the 165grain Nosler Partitions to work in my 30-06 so made up some Sierra Gamekings which were fine.
I might experiment with the Barnes though.
Cheers
Richard
What rifle and twist rate have you got. As I have just bought some Nosler Partitions in 165 grn.
Tusker

smullery

Will be adding a 30.06 Barrel to my Mauser MO3 in a years time, once I've used up a lot of my 9.3 x 62 ammo.

I'll then be in a position to use 85gr, 140gr, 160gr, 180gr and 286gr pills.

.243, 6.5x55, 30.06 and 9.3 x 62

Stan

musgrave dave

What would be the limit of the 30-06 with a 180grn pill? Would wilde beast be too much for the combo??

Nutty

The 30-06 with 180 grain pmp....... just watch the wife

Hunting in South Africa with Mayogi Safaris 11 Oct 2012 3 mins Mayogi Safaris #5

Dave

Last edited:

Grandhubert

I've used a 180 grain interlock out of my 06 at around 2650 fps on everything from 5kg muntjac to 750kg Camel and everything in-between in Africa, Europe and Australia.

FWIW the camels were harder to kill than the moose I shot in Russia with it.

200 grain barnes TSX and 220 grain Nosler partitions extract the maximum from this calibre, should you ever feel the need to take a scrub bull or similar.

In short, as Jack O'Connor once said " (the 30.06 with 180 grain bullets) will shoot through both shoulders of the largest brown bear and still kick up dirt on the other side."

alberta boy

I'm lucky enough to be able to own a lot of firearms, but truth be told, there isn't any game in this part of the world that a 30-06 and a good 180 gr bullet ( partition, a-frame, etc) wont take cleanly. I watched a good friend of mine bang flop a 400/450 lb grizzly at about 75 + yrds with one, and they are a bit on the hard side. I've taken a large amount of big game, moose,etc with the same combination.As a wise man once said " the 30-06 is never a mistake".Townsend Whelen

AB

CDSG Shooting Sports