30-30 experiences

karamoja

Hi all,
I am about to embark on my latest reuse and recycle project. An old 12/15 BSA action and an old octagonal to round Winchester barrel which had been plugged?
So I am interested in experiences with 150 and 125gn rounds? It will be for roe and muntjac mainly.
Cheers K

User00014

Hi all,
I am about to embark on my latest reuse and recycle project. An old 12/15 BSA action and an old octagonal to round Winchester barrel which had been plugged?
So I am interested in experiences with 150 and 125gn rounds? It will be for roe and muntjac mainly.
Cheers K

I have shot red deer with 150gn federal factory, they really pack a punch.

enfieldspares

The classic park deer rifle was the .300 BSA Extra Long which Westley Richards labelled as the .300 Sherwood. That was a 140 grain bullet, .308" calibre, at 1400 fps muzzle velocity. It worked well enough on park fallow out to one hundred or so yards. So I think your 30-30 project as that cartridge can greatly exceed that velocity performance it should be fine.

The only concern that I would have is how much meat you have in the chamber walls after you've had them chambered and threaded? Also whether the 30-30 with its bullet is able to pass the bend (as it were) on the BSA's block to get into and chamber in the barrel. Have you been able to load up some dummy rounds before you've done any extractor re-cutting or any chambering work?

Last edited:

Muir

Hi all,
Cheers K
If you are planning on mating the two -and it hasn't been done already- expect to remove a lot of metal from the breechblock to facilitate loading. Many fine Aussie Cadet Martini's were converted to 32 Winchester Special. I never had one that shot well but the actions were always of interest.~Muir

Harry mac

If you are planning on mating the two -and it hasn't been done already- expect to remove a lot of metal from the breechblock to facilitate loading. Many fine Aussie Cadet Martini's were converted to 32 Winchester Special. I never had one that shot well but the actions were always of interest.~Muir

I think the issue of them not shooting well with the .32 Special cartridge was mainly due to the fact that the .310 cadet barrels were just rechambered and deemed "good to go". I'd guess that the rifling twist for the .310 Cadet is less than optimal for the 30-30 class of cartridges.
Recoil might also be a bit of a problem unless it's "managed" with a heavier barrel and different stocking arrangements.

Muir

I think the issue of them not shooting well with the .32 Special cartridge was mainly due to the fact that the .310 cadet barrels were just rechambered and deemed "good to go". I'd guess that the rifling twist for the .310 Cadet is less than optimal for the 30-30 class of cartridges.
Recoil might also be a bit of a problem unless it's "managed" with a heavier barrel and different stocking arrangements.
The Cadet bore / groove diameter and twist was certainly the issue. I bought them for the actions. ~Muir