300 RUM Recoil

RPA 6MM BR

To the user's of the 300 rum. I have the opportunity to purchase a nice semi custom 300 Rum. It is fitted with a brake but I would rather swap that out for a mod. My question is, what's the recoil like? I know it's easy to give the macho answer but please answer honestly. I have had numerous 300 win mags and 7mm Rem mags but what is this beast like?

tackb

I run mine with a wildcat 12 and its a pussycat to shoot , it's in a McMillan A5 and its heavy which obviously helps ! With the brake fitted recoil is low still but it's quite obtuse to fire ?

I run a 208amax at 3250 FPS , max load (no point in having one to run it at 308 levels!)

Muir

I shot a buddy's Remington before he traded it off. Three of us shot off two boxes of factory ammo. It was a singularly unpleasant rifle to shoot! (maybe I'm just getting old??) When we investigated reloading possibilities we found that using 180 grain bullets -the bullet of choice around here for elk- the 300 WM hit 95% of the RUM's speeds with significantly less powder. I don't remember the exact percentages but I think he said he'd get an extra group or two from every pound of fuel. It sounds like a petty reasoning but in reality, that's saying a lot when you're loading a case that eats a pound of powder before you get through the first box of bullets. He had a 300WM already so he traded the Rem/RUM in on a pair of 270's for he and his son.~Muir

RPA 6MM BR

I shot a buddy's Remington before he traded it off. Three of us shot off two boxes of factory ammo. It was a singularly unpleasant rifle to shoot!~Muir
Don't you guys out there shoot naked rifles though Muir? Mine would have a large suppressor which would help negate a lot of the felt recoil.

Muir

Don't you guys out there shoot naked rifles though Muir? Mine would have a large suppressor which would help negate a lot of the felt recoil.
Sure. No suppressors/moderatrors. In the end, the recoil wasn't the issue. It was economics. It's just an expensive round to shoot deer and elk with. 30-06 and 300WM are still two if the most widely used deer and elk rounds and they are far more efficient than the RUM. With powder being as hard to get as it is, it didn't make sense to load something that used a pound of powder for +/- 70 rounds. I'm not 100% aware of the brass situation but I don't recall seeing any on the shelves of the stores I frequent so it is reasonable to assume that the UK might have less.~Muir

Southern

I have not seen much 300 RUM, or 7mm STW ammo or brass for sale recently.

I bought a 7mm STW Remington Sendero a few years ago, not too heavy with its fluted barrel. The young fellow who was selling it threw in a box of ammo. I don't know how many times he had shot it in all, but that box had 16 rounds in it. I took it out and shot a magazine through it offhand, to make sure it all worked well. Recoil was very sharp. Since the idea for hunting is to shoot long range, you would be shooting off a bipod or rest, and the recoil would really be apparent then. Offhand, I would be in .308 range for even an elk or moose. The rifles are too heavy to carry for sheep or goats, too much for deer at any ethical range. I sold this one to a rancher in Wyoming for a truck gun, and he wrote me back that he killed an elk with one shot of the ammo I sent, 175-gr Core Lokt, at about 300 yards. So he was happy.

alberta boy

I've shot two in the let few years and as Muir says , they are a bit vicious . With a mod on it , a 300 RUM would be very controllable . My main concern would be brass / ammo availability . It's getting tough to find brass for any of the Remington Ultra Mags around here , especially the short mags . If you have a good supply of brass and got a good deal on the rifle , fill your boots . In reality though , it won't do much that 300 WM can't ........except burn more powder for very limited gains . Sorry to be a downer brother . That being said , if that's what you want , do it , it will definitely take any big , thin skinned game at long distances with authority .

AB

swarovski

After reading through the thread the 300 win mag 338 lap mag would be a much better option,2 calibres I very much like, ive shot both calibres, loved it :D

swarovski

Thats the first ive heard of that so what about them who have authority to use a 338 for stalking, has that being or going to be taken away anytime soon then, its the only calibre I fancy having too, I like all my rifles to be dual porpose, thats another dream down the drain then grrrrr :cry:

RPA 6MM BR

Thats the first ive heard of that so what about them who have authority to use a 338 for stalking, has that being or going to be taken away anytime soon then, its the only calibre I fancy having too, I like all my rifles to be dual porpose, thats another dream down the drain then grrrrr :cry:
It's what I was told by Devon and Cornwall firearms department mate. They say the 338 lap is a military calibre and not for sporting purposes (target only)?

Ronin

Distinguished Member
It's what I was told by Devon and Cornwall firearms department mate. They say the 338 lap is a military calibre and not for sporting purposes (target only)?
Does that also mean there are no 5.56, 7x62 x 51, 7x57, 30-06 etc etc etc users in Devon too….?