300PRC dies

martin_b

Hi Guy's

To anyone who loads 300PRC what seating die do you use?

Ive got a Redding die that Ive just started using with 230 Grain Sierra's and Lapau Brass and it seems to be leaving a ring on the bullet. It might be that the neck tension is too tight, on the new brass so Im getting a expander, but I just wondered if anyone had similar problems with these very long bullets.

Eric the Red

Redding do bullet specific seating stems that should solve your issue.

To answer your Q, I use Whidden dies - with a specific stem (they're cross compatible with Redding bushings and stems

25 Sharps

Hi Guy's

Ive got a Redding die that Ive just started using with 230 Grain Sierra's and Lapau Brass and it seems to be leaving a ring on the bullet. It might be that the neck tension is too tight, on the new brass so Im getting a expander, but I just wondered if anyone had similar problems with these very long bullets.
Happens with a lot of dies, for general use it won’t make any noticeable difference to accuracy

Sinistral

As this is a die-related question, exactly which seating die are you using?
Also, is the sizer die you have the standard one, or the neck-bushing type - which is adjustable.
The part numbers are on the box.

Redding don't do expanders - only 'Tapered Size Buttons' which neck up one calibre to the next. I doubt one of these will solve your problem.
The Redding website is abysmal. I sometimes think it's designed to tempt the unwary into making mistakes with the product numbers, and buying more kit than they need, but as Eric in # 2 says there are non-standard VLD seating stems:-

martin_b

The Redding set I have is just the basic FL set. Ive removed the expander/deprimer and I've now got an seperate expander mandrel which has improved things. But Im still on the lookout for a better set of dies

Sorry to drag this up but did you ever manage to resolve this?
I have the Hornady Match grade and its doughnutting the bullet massively, even using the specific ELD-M stem, the sizing die is scoring the hell out of the necks as well (no visible marks on the bushing) not impressed so far.
I also have a set of lee pacesetters and they do exactly the same thing.

I had originally thought it was the cheap BB brass I was using, but I've just bought a bunch of Lapua and have exactly the same issue.

xavierdoc

Sorry to drag this up but did you ever manage to resolve this?
I have the Hornady Match grade and its doughnutting the bullet massively, even using the specific ELD-M stem, the sizing die is scoring the hell out of the necks as well (no visible marks on the bushing) not impressed so far.
I also have a set of lee pacesetters and they do exactly the same thing.

I had originally thought it was the cheap BB brass I was using, but I've just bought a bunch of Lapua and have exactly the same issue.

What's your neck tension?

martin_b

I got a set of RCBS matchmaster from Spud. FL die has the .334 collet, and the seating die has a really handy loading slot. One thing im sure you've found out is the Lapau brass is really tight, so I use an expander mandrel.

Yeah I’m running it through with the mandrel and with a 335 bushing to give me a thou of tension

I use a redding type S with the 6.5cm, I guess I’ll probably pick one up for the 300 if they’re ever available again!