300winmag

paul o'

Semi or a black rifle off the shelf , the S20 is showing its coming in as less than expected , talking to some owners ? plastics and the feeling of cheapness . but make up your own mind .

caberslash

What are you going to use it for?

I wasn't overly impressed with the handling of the S20 - barrel length, recoil management etc are really key factors in your decision I'd suggest

+1

Unless you happen to have a few moose or elk trips lined up, I'd say a 7mm Rem Mag will do better on these shores. The 300WM won't get the edge over it until you start shooting bullets in the 180-200 grain range.

But if you already have the ticket punched...

You want a rifle with decent balance, a barrel long enough to make use of the chambering and something with a decent stock that will make it easier to handle the recoil.

An early Remington Sendero would have been a good choice, but good luck finding one.

Konnari

I have handled the S20 and the plastic is really cheap…. I’m not impressed and I have 4 sakos (75 and 85) my self. A good friend of mine bought a s20 and he is already regretting it. Buy a quality sauer 404 and live happily ever after

Jon P

Mauser M12 Extreme for me in 300 Win mag, very accurate rifle.

Attachments

• 95063F7C-B095-494E-B7A1-AB42C4B24C54.jpeg
    95063F7C-B095-494E-B7A1-AB42C4B24C54.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 35

caberslash

I believe it is possible to have the feed ramp notched, I believe @ejg has done so on one of his rifles to allow proper COAL.

Ben

Would be keen to hear about this, as the issue has been raised on American forums and from what I gather some suggested that altering the feed ramp was asking for trouble as it also constitutes part of the lower locking lug abutment.

On the contrary, you could go as far to add a Wyatt's extended box onto a Remington 700 due to the extra space afforded by milling the rear bridge and section where an 'ADL' guard slots in.

I wouldn't consider either at this stage.

John Gryphon

Below are two rifles the first is a Sako TRG-S in .300 win mag ,the other is one of the Poms best,another .300 win mag by Parker Hale.
The Sako cannot do anything any better than the Parker Hale yet is apparently valued much more.
Oh there is the "snob factor" that we need not forget.

Concentrating on learning to hunt then stalk is utmost imo rather than thinking about how one "needs" to spend more dosh to become a deer hunter when starting the journey.

velv spike mr orange.jpg

300 PH left.jpg

300 PH right.jpg

caberslash

Below are two rifles the first is a Sako TRG-S in .300 win mag ,the other is one of the Poms best,another .300 win mag by Parker Hale.
The Sako cannot do anything any better than the Parker Hale yet is apparently valued much more.

Concentrating on learning to hunt then stalk is utmost imo rather than thinking about how one "needs" to spend more dosh to become a deer hunter when starting the journey.

View attachment 213851

View attachment 213849

View attachment 213850

borat.png

tusker

View attachment 213851

View attachment 213849

View attachment 213850
Love that PH. I had one in 270 loved it and took game from UK to Africa. It is still in the family my nephew has it.
Tusker

Heym SR20

The 300 Win Mags have enough recoil that stock fit becomes important to make them easy enough to shoot so that you are consistent with them. And this is more so given that they will tend be used for longer shots from a prone which exagerates recoil, hence stock fit more important.

You don’t need a 300 win mag for UK stalking, but as an all round go anywhere in the world and shoot anything type rifle its not a bad cartridge to choose.

finnbear270

The 300 Win Mags have enough recoil that stock fit becomes important to make them easy enough to shoot so that you are consistent with them. And this is more so given that they will tend be used for longer shots from a prone which exagerates recoil, hence stock fit more important.

You don’t need a 300 win mag for UK stalking, but as an all round go anywhere in the world and shoot anything type rifle its not a bad cartridge to choose.
What about those nasty Sika then?:norty: