.308 lamping

.308 bloke

Anyone use .308 for lamping? Took mine out in the dark for the first time last night. Got a couple foxes but it was LOUD AS HELL!
Land owners said they don't mind, and the neighbours haven't complained but I still think it's just too damned loud for the middle of the night.

Anyone have any input on this at all?

Markfox

I wouldn't worry about it if the farmers and neighbours are not bothered unless your shooting rabbits that is

shakey jake

have you got a mod on it? doubt most people would register the first shot. my mates 250 with out a mod is hideously loud,but no seems to notice

.308 bloke

Yeah, the farmers are very enthusiastic for pretty much all foxes to die on the land. Probably find the shock and awe quite comforting in the night.
I'll probably keep my trips to once a week or fortnight just so as not to push my luck too much though, only fired 5 shots to other night. Quite reasonable I suppose?

.308 bloke

Have a mod on. Sounds twice as loud in the night though like most things.
I suppose it's loudest cos I'm there. Probably not too bad at the owners house about 300 yards away.
Thought about getting a .223, but really, even if it's not quite so loud as a .308 it's still loud as hell no?

.308 bloke

I hope not. Can't really justify the cost of another gun.
Anyone here had any trouble for the noise from guns when lamping?

Kjf

I hope not. Can't really justify the cost of another gun.
Anyone here had any trouble for the noise from guns when lamping?

No mate,

223, 243 and 308 on fox ,

dead is dead ,

job is done, no matter what calibre is used,

farmer is happy

kjf

The tramp

I use an unmoderated 243 or 357 when foxing. Have used an unmoderated 338LM before.

Don't worry about it

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Goingback

All rifles sound loud at night. Before moderators, apart from in hot weather when windows are open; I have experienced very, very few complaints. Only then it was usually on a succession of shots.

ChesterP

Yes, .223 won't be much quieter.
Mine is...by a long way! Both my 308 and 223 are shod with SL5 mods and the 223 is most definitely the one I'd use at night. There's a marked difference between them. 223 does seem to be much easier to moderate to acceptable levels.

.308 bloke

Mine is...by a long way! Both my 308 and 223 are shod with SL5 mods and the 223 is most definitely the one I'd use at night. There's a marked difference between them. 223 does seem to be much easier to moderate to acceptable levels.
dammit! Oh well, can't afford another gun yet anyway.

srvet

My fox rifles (17 Remington and 22/250) are both far quieter than my 308 or 6.5x47. The reflex mod on the 22/250 in particular does a great job so that I don't worry one bit about noise, even on really still nights

Ben1987

Account Suspended
Don't worry about it. I shot my 243 unmoderated for a long time and it was deafening. Only ever woke up one neighbour and they didn't complain. My mates 22-250 is unmoderated and sounded like a howitzer going off up on the hill. I got a mod for the 243 because it's a shortish barrel and the muzzle flip was p'ing me off.

huntsman

My fox rifles (17 Remington and 22/250) are both far quieter than my 308 or 6.5x47. The reflex mod on the 22/250 in particular does a great job so that I don't worry one bit about noise, even on really still nights
I think this is a good idea.Try and pick up a reflex steel mod or a jet z, you will find it makes a big difference to the sound compared to some of the modern lighter ones.It will completely spoil the handling, but if you happen to be driving around it may not be so bad.? You might be lucky and pick something up second hand. What ammo are you using ? Just thinking of back stops and heavily constructed deer bullets. I tried 110gr vmax in my blaser they try were tack drivers. I think hornady Tap do / did a 110 vmax load in 308 win.

sir-lamp-alot

i used to use a unmoderated .308 for lamping a few years ago and i never got any complaints, and if you havnt had any yet i would just carry on as you are

JTO

Get a more efficient sound moderator. My .223 with an over-barrel DPT only seems to allow the supersonic 'crack' to be heard. It's got 8 baffles, 2 less than can be used.