.308 non toxic factory ammo

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Overlay

Hi Guys
Any recommendations for .308 non lead factory round for a Blaser rifle in 22 mm profile

using 123 gr rounds at the moment which are less than 1/2 inch group at a 100

cheers

phil

Last edited:

ju13

I’ve been using the Norma eco strike 150g in 308, excellent groups on the range, 100 & 200m and the deer culled with them have been culled without excessive damage.

Donkey Basher

Both me and a mate bought some Geco in .308 for a recent trip down to Dorset on Sika.

Zeroing, went well - with almost the same POI as the lead rounds they were replacing.

My mate scored his first ever Sika with them.

I blanked. :rolleyes:
Could you let me know where you bought the Geco ammo please? I'm toying with the idea of just using factory for stalking now as I don't get much time for reloading so need to focus that on the target shooting ammo. Cheers.

Grand Slam

I have had very good performance with the Geco Zero 136gn from my Blaser in .308. Pretty much the exact POI as the 170gn lead Geco so no need for adjustments either. All the RFDs in suffolk that I used to use had them in stock. I am now in warwickshire and havent needed any yet.

deerstalker.308

Cheers Andy will see if I can grab a box somewhere
cheers

phil
I’ve been using the Geco 136gr and it’s great. I have a spare box of RWS hit in 165gr, for my liking it didn’t do as good a job but it does kill with minimal meat damage, just often the beast doesn’t know it’s dead which is disconcerting. If you ever get up to east anglia it’s going begging as I no longer use it. Cannot fault the Geco though. Everything has hit the deck decisively and cleanly again with minimal damage.

Alantoo

Hi Guys
Any recommendations for .308 non lead factory round for a Blaser rifle in 22 mm profile

using 123 gr rounds at the moment which are less than 1/2 inch group at a 100

cheers

phil
Limited experience with lead free factory ammunition... Home loaded 130gr Fox bullet in Lapua brass and N135 in my Ø17.1mm profile barrel R8 rifle averaged 0.7853" over 10no. 5 round groups. The two 5 shot groups of Fox factory rounds which use the same bullet and slightly lower powder load in PPU brass were 0.853" and 0.983" but the larger group was probably affected by my being slightly unnerved by the PPU cases being very sticky to extract from the chamber.

I managed 0.835" with a couple of 5 shot groups with 136gr frangible tin core partition RWS Evo Green.

The only group record I can find with the Factory 150gr Federal Copper is a 3 shot group at 0.300"...cant find the other targets but I don't remember them being consistently that good...

With factory offerings it may depend on what is available at your RFD I think...with the heavier barrel you should do fine with most at stalking ranges.

Alan

PS Sorry I forgot the first lead free factory ammunition I used a few years ago, was Hornady 150gr GMX, they were good in my barrel and shot around 0.75" and were used successfully on Fallow and Roe.

Last edited:

Overlay

Guys
phoned and visited a few gunshops past couple of days Sako S&B EWS are what I’ve found but in no quantity
looks like they may be to order in with a waiting time

Got my .243 & 6.5 all sorted, .308 seems problematic at the minute, can only use Copper on two of the places I go stalking

Overlay

I’ve been using the Geco 136gr and it’s great. I have a spare box of RWS hit in 165gr, for my liking it didn’t do as good a job but it does kill with minimal meat damage, just often the beast doesn’t know it’s dead which is disconcerting. If you ever get up to east anglia it’s going begging as I no longer use it. Cannot fault the Geco though. Everything has hit the deck decisively and cleanly again with minimal damage.
Cheers mate
im up your way for the next couple of weeks I’ll give a shout when I’m close by
cheers

phil

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!