375 H&H magazine conversation possibility

ajr

Hi All
i have a cz550 in 375 could it be possible to convert the rifle to a magazine instead of the original floor plate? Also, who would undertake this type of work?
thanks in advance

I don't know of anyone doing bottom metal which ch would allow that in a magnum length action I am afraid.

It could be done as a custom thing but the price may be a little high. You would obviously also need a mag from another rifle to use or have a custom one made up.

I don't know of anyone doing bottom metal which ch would allow that in a magnum length action I am afraid.

It could be done as a custom thing but the price may be a little high. You would obviously also need a mag from another rifle to use or have a custom one made up.
It probably could be done but keeping the mag in the rifle 100% of the time might be hard unless you have a monster magazine release latch. There is a reason they pinned the floorplate on the big magnums.;) ~Muir

I was aware of that one MTLEADFARMER, unfortunately it isn't designed for the correct action length. The OP has a 375 h&h and the PTG bottom metal is for 30-06 length actions.

They're all 30-06 length except the 338 lapua which is significantly wider, isn't belted, and is if a different shape. I honestly don't know if it'd work

The reason big game rifles have fixed magazines is reliability. The last thing you want is for floorplate to drop open, or mag to drop out when you have annoyed something that will eat or stomp on you. Those CZ / Brnos carry five in the magazine. Original Mausers only feed from the magazine, so additional rounds have to be pushed down. I believe you can bevel the extractor claw so that it will pop over the rim of round loose fed.

J Roberts and Sons build a lot of big game rifles and have used the Brno action extensively. They would be worth a chat. You can certainly get a deep floor plate that allows to hold an extra round in the magazine.

heres a 416 built on the CZ

http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/prod-detail.php?id=192

also worth asking the same question on accurate reloading. Lots of gunsmiths in the US contribute.

Last edited:
They're all 30-06 length except the 338 lapua which is significantly wider, isn't belted, and is if a different shape. I honestly don't know if it'd work

I am building a custom stock for my 300Win Mag with a 338 Mag to accomodate my longer 208gr loads which are 338 OAL

Belted case will run just fine on a single stack magazine
there is not discernible difference in magazine lip and all I have done is make sure the rear edge is profiled to allow a smoother entry for the belt.

the case width isnt and issue, 13mm vs 14.9mm
the case is centred in the feed lips anyway
if you were worried about slop inside the mag box some sub 1mm tape or shim stuck inside would take that up

On a DGR rile, I would rather have a blind magazine than a detachable magazine.

I had a CZ 550 Safari Magnum, which was hinged at the trigger guard and dropped the cartridges by sliding then forward into your hand - a very nice thing, especially 5 large cartridges, which are a handful.

The manual for the newer CZ 550 Medium Magnum shows it available with a detachable drop magazine, same as for the .243 and .308. So I would contact the CZ dealer.

Only a call or email to PTG will anyone know for sure. Cz did offer the Win mag in both actions but only the lapua in the mag/safari. Accurate Mag does make 375 H&H mags in the same length. The ribs on the side of the magazine won't let the 375 fit in a standard win mag. Ai pattern mags in single stack are the same width between 300 and 338 they make three different lengths.
Bewsher500 the feed lips are different lengths between 300 and 338 had feeding issues using 338mags for the Win. Accurate Mag does make the long pattern for win mag 3.850.
http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/

Only a call or email to PTG will anyone know for sure. Cz did offer the Win mag in both actions but only the lapua in the mag/safari. Accurate Mag does make 375 H&H mags in the same length. The ribs on the side of the magazine won't let the 375 fit in a standard win mag. Ai pattern mags in single stack are the same width between 300 and 338 they make three different lengths.
Bewsher500 the feed lips are different lengths between 300 and 338 had feeding issues using 338mags for the Win. Accurate Mag does make the long pattern for win mag 3.850.
http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/

thank you for all your replies I emailed PTG unfortunately, they can't be bothered to reply too me!!!

Back