.375 H&H

Sam

Does anybody use a .375 H&H for reds in this country? i was asked this by a freind as he wants one for that purpose, also you think it would work?

Thanks

St

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Hi Sam
I use my .375 H&H on Reds, cracking for big southern stags on the top edge of big southern valleys, can save a lot of dragging ;)
The stag in the photo was shot with a 250 grn swift A frame courtesy of a mate of mine in Cornwall. If he had cleared the fence he had a very, very steep valley to fall down :rolleyes:

I've changed the pretty Sako in the picture for a Synthetic Remington and put a huge Wildcat Moderator on it how I can use it Wildboar without stressing the neighbours.

Wayne[/quote]

willie_gunn

Sam - I don't, but I know a man who does. He primarily uses it for trips to Africa, but he has used it on red deer and with the right reloads it certainly does the job.

What I can say is that, having fired the .375H&H on the range, I will be sticking to my .308 :eek: A year later the scar has almost cleared up!

Others on this forum can advise far better than I, but I'd be interested to know what questions might be asked if you put in a variation for a .375H&H and the primary reason was deer control. I would guess it depends upon the ground.

Not sure I'd have felt comfortable using the .308 on the boar in Wayne's photo however :D

MarkH

Hi Sam

I have used my 375 on reds and fallow in the UK with a 220gn flatpoint. Very effective. Moderate velocity works best.

Mark

IanF

Yes and Yes!

It' a lovely round that gives a shove rather than a slap. Definately not a bench gun - but for stalking it does take some beating.

One round for the world!

rgds Ian

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Possibly the round for taking anywhere in the world. I have a BRNO 375H&H which I predominantly use in Africa, but have also used in Finland on Moose.

If you are hunting Africa the 375 H&H will take any of the African big and small game. From a tiny Steinbuck by using solids, through to a Bull Elephant or Cape Buffalo.

I have used it a few times on deer in the UK, but prefer something a bit lighter.

Stayangry

Hi there,

I love the .375 and feel that it is very appropriate for red deer, especially the ones that we have here in lowland England, which can be absolute monsters when compared with their Highland cousins.

Recoil is really not too bad, over a short range session. I shoot a Blaser .375 which weighs about the same as a Twiglet but find it very manageable, with the Blaser recoil reducer in place.

There are only really three downsides:

(1) Trajectory, which is not quite as flat as, say, a 30-06, a possible problem in the hills, but not in the woods

(2) The Plod. According to their guidance notes, .375 should be approved primarily for African use and this might prove a problem, depending on the attitude of your local force. I believe, however, that it is possible to approve an African rifle for UK deer once the African trip is over.

(3) Energy limits on MOD ranges, which will require special procedure for any reasonably stompy calibre.

James

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Hi James
How do you you get on with the Blaser in .375?
How much difference does the recoil reducer make?
I love my Blasers but I was a bit scared to buy one in .375 after owning one in 300wsm that was enough of a handful without the moderator.

Wayne

Stayangry

Couldn't tell you what the whole rig weighs, but certainly not as much as my Remington 700 PSS.

Recoil is soft enought to shoot from prone, without any sort of padding, though I wouldn't want to do it all day

(Not that I could afford to shoot a .375 all day, but that's another story ...)

smullery

Look at 9.3 x 62

Just got back from SA where I was shooting 286 gr with open sights.

No problem with recoil. Just like shooting a shotgun really. Both eyes open. Out to 100 metres. Impala and Nyala.

No sling, just carried the rifle in one hand.

Should be easier to convince plod that you want to use it in the UK.

Stan

Muir

For what it's worth, I have a .375 Model 70 Winchester for Elk which run somewhat larger then your Red Stag. I consider it to be the best Elk cartridge you can get. ~Muir