.375 scope

Would a S&B zenith 2.5 - 10 x 56 be ok to use on a .375 magnum?
It would be for plains game and boar.
Cheers

The two scenarios couldn't be much further apart !

For plains game, it's common to be shooting 250m +, for driven boar, it could be as close as 10m.

IMHO, a 2.5-10 x 56 is a big compromise for either !

Personally, and I do realise it's my preference, I use a 1-6 x 24 for driven, and a 2.3-18 x 56 for plains game/ longer distances.

Personally I would be looking at two scopes, preferably on swing off mounts. The Boar scope would be a 1-4 or 1-6, possibly from Bushnell or a mid range maker, even better a second hand Swaro, either with illumination. The second would be something like a Z3 Swaro 4-12x50 for the Plains Game. It would be slightly over the price of the Zenith but I think you would prefer something closer to 1x zoom on the running Boar. Unlimited budget I would go with the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 which is a lovely scope and wold do both jobs very well.

Truthfully, if you can afford those hunts, you can afford eaw pivot mounts and two scopes, one designed for each type of hunting. The 375 is a bit overkill for boar, so to be brutally truthful, unless you plan on cape buff, go for a 9.3x62 with two scope options and iron sights, tall wide V and white/silver/gold bead, rear set far out on barrel for quicker sight acquisition and not to interfere with your longer scope..tall enough to let your see the blade over your scope bases.

Truthfully, if you can afford those hunts, you can afford eaw pivot mounts and two scopes, one designed for each type of hunting. The 375 is a bit overkill for boar, so to be brutally truthful, unless you plan on cape buff, go for a 9.3x62 with two scope options and iron sights, tall wide V and white/silver/gold bead, rear set far out on barrel for quicker sight acquisition and not to interfere with your longer scope..tall enough to let your see the blade over your scope bases.

I’d beg to disagree! I managed to scrape enough money together to fulfil the Africa dream and I’ve been driven hunting a few times, doesn’t mean I had oodles of spare cash for every luxury, a lot of people have to do these things on a shoestring and compromise, my personal experience of using the above scope in both scenarios, which, correct me if I’m wrong, was what was asked, is that they worked absolutely faultlessly for both, no need to splash out on more optics unnecessarily, but if you can and want to, do it, but I’m giessing the OP doesn’t, hence asking the question.....

Yes it will hopefully involve a Cape buffalo, the boar probably from a hide/tower but maybe driven one day.
I already have the scope so it’s about no expense just swap it over for a trip or outing.

Yes it will hopefully involve a Cape buffalo, the boar probably from a hide/tower but maybe driven one day.
I already have the scope so it’s about no expense just swap it over for a trip or outing.

if buff hunting, and if done properly at close quarters (25-50m), you will want a 1-4 scope. If you are allowed on the follow up if needed, sure as sh*t you will want to either wind down to 1x or irons!

whats nice about the exos 1-8 is at 1x it auto adjusts parralax to 25m. At 5-6x it’s fine for plains game well over 200m, and for 99% of plains game hunts, that’s longer than you will shoot! It’s also ideal for boar, so imho, you’re not doing yourself any favours with anything starting at 2.5. Just my views

ps. I also don’t think any PH would be impressed with anything much above 1.5 for a cape buff hunt, nor will boar hunts be at 2.5 although from hides it’s really just static hunting so a big FOV and light is of primary importance...but they involve a nasty in-the-dark close quarters follow up too

Last edited:
Why do some people take umbrage, because someone disagrees with their opinion ?

The OP asked peoples opinion on a scope for two very different scenarios. "Cost" is secondary to whether a 2.5-10 x 56 is a good choice.

We also have to recognise that whilst some have good vision, others will want, need, require a higher mag, to be confident with a longer shot, and the person to make that decision, is the person doing the shooting.

I have only been on one plains game trip, and "I" would not have been happy with a 10, or 12 power scope.

I'm very lucky, and I have a passion for driven boar. I shoot open sight on a tight peg, and a 1-6 x 24 if the peg is open. I would not want to be acquiring a running boar, close up, with a 2.5 mag scope. I had one peg last trip, where I shot 4, longest shot, about 10yds.

With regard to cost, final choice will be dictated by budget, but if I were paying $6000.00 - $10,000 to shoot a cape buffalo, I would not be compromising on the scope, any more than I'd want to turn up with a .243 :D

A buff can cost £10-£20k, why not spend £2k on the right scope, I don’t get why trying to save the relative pennies,,,after all, it’s dangerous game for a reason, don’t go in-between and end up with the PH being the one shooting your buff on a tracking mission because you didn’t have the gear, you will end up still paying and you never actually killed it, just put the first round in

Last edited:
I have used the scope on plains game and it was spot on no need to wind it up I recall using 4 or 6.
perhaps it would work for for Africa but not driven boar and I’ll have to get one of them dot things.

Back